Nimbus Sport, IHF launch World Series Hockey & now many controversies

Discussion in 'India' started by jashan83, Apr 15, 2011.

1. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

World Series Hockey tune-ins zooms past 30 million

The cumulative tune-ins for the league phase of the inaugural Bridgestone World Series Hockey is a whopping 30.8 Million. WSH has clearly emerged as the second most watched sports league in India after IPL. The English Premier League (EPL) had a mere 11.7 million weekly tune-ins during the same period (February 29 to March 31).

[​IMG]
    The hallmark of the league has been the spectacular growth in TV viewers and the overall buzz and interest generated. The championship was highly competitive and the final semi-final spot was decided only after the last league match. Infact, the ratings of the last WSH league match was more than triple the ratings of the opening week.

Nimbus Sport COO Yannick Colaco said, "The success story of WSH has been the strong and consistent week-on-week growth. Even in the 5th week of the league, it continues to add new viewers at a frantic pace. Never before have Indian fans been delighted with 34 days of non stop hockey action. The tune-ins are poised to further grow for the riveting Semi Finals and Finals that were played in front of packed houses."

http://www.afaqs.com/news/company_b...+Series+Hockey+tune-ins+zooms+past+30+million

2. JiMMM

JiMMM FHF Regular Player

I like your enthusiasm and optimism but you are wrong that WSH will overtake the EHL anytime soon. The main reason is that the EHL has credibility built up over a few seasons, which WSH cannot have as it's only its first season, give it a few years and we will see. The other main reason is that the EHL is sanctioned which means it can pull the best players from around the world (outside the olympic years), whereas WSH can't. I'm also unsure about the quality of players, as an example Joe Reardon is an average player in the Brisbane Hockey League, and the average players should not be able to get a run in a "professional" league.

Having said all of that it is clearly an excellent thing for hockey in India, and long may it continue

3. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

Well all the assumptions are based on that fact that WSH is not recognized by FIH. Well let me tell what are the things going on this matter
    1. The courts have clearly ruled in favor of IHF
    2. The Government of India also supports IHF
    3. Only reason HI is there because FIH threatened the government of putting India out of Olympics. India not being there in Olympics can cause a huge uproar and Government does not want any bad publicity
    4. As per the sources, the government is just waiting for Olympics to get over and then it will take on HI full fledged and take it Out

As per the players, once the tournament is recognized one and you will have the Franchise's which are ready to offer 100,000$ for each season, players are bound to come. Hockey players are not paid well anywhere be it EHL or International Hockey. Once you get paid like this players are bound to be lured.

Remember despite the tournament being unsanctioned, many Pakistan players defied their board and played the tournament.

IHF has the sports ministry behind it. It is just a matter of time for them to get all the recognition and make WSH an sanctioned tournament.

4. JiMMM

JiMMM FHF Regular Player

You ae making a lot of assumptions about what may or may not happen, even if IHF becomes the only body in India does the FIH have to recognise them? There will still be the problem of trying to attract the best players, and I think WSH might struggle with that even if they get sanctioned.

Irrespective I think it is a good thing for hockey in India, but is not a patch on the EHL. If there was any doubt you just need to look at the 2 games that have been played so far in comparison to the highlights of WSH.

5. MK

MK FHF Legend

Funny isnt it - the supposed 'cradle' of hockey cant develop from the grass roots, so throws money at the top end of the game.

And still cant be bigger than the EHL.

WSH - Fail.

6. MK

MK FHF Legend

I hope the WSH officials were just watching that Rotterdam/Mulheim game.
    Amazing!

7. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

FIH president Negre to meet Hockey India, Indian Hockey Federation

(Before next WSH Hopefully we will have a merger. Good besides government FIH has also realized by siding with HI alone it will lose in the end)

International Hockey Federation (FIH) president Leandro Negre will be visiting India next week to sort out the differences between the two warring bodies Hockey India (HI) and the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF).

The FIH president, in February during the 2012 London Olympic qualifiers, had given both the bodies a month's time to sort out their differences and come out with a merger formula.

But more than a month has passed and the two bodies have failed to meet to sort out their issues. IHF president RK Shetty said that Negre will try to initiate the merger talks between the two bodies.

"Mr. Negre had promised during the qualifiers that he would return after a month to assess where things stand in terms of merger talks. But frankly speaking, the two bodies didn't sit across the table. We were also busy with the World Series Hockey ( WSH). I sincerely hope that we find a solution," Shetty said.

HI secretary-general Narinder Batra also hoped that talks would be fruitful this time.

"I am always hopeful. IHF didn't get time to sit down with us in the last one month. We have given them (IHF) options and it is for them to decide," Batra said.

Negre had told both HI and the de-recognised IHF that they should merge for the betterment of the sport in the country. HI is the official custodian of the sport in the country but IHF, which was disbanded by the Indian Olympic Association ( IOA) on bribery charges in 2008, is recognised by the court of law.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...an-Hockey-Federation/articleshow/12573321.cms

8. Wikileats

Wikileats FHF Top Player

I think to call it a 'fail' is a bit extreme. Expecting it to be bigger than the EHL in its first season is a big ask.

Why can't people just support these things (or at least not shout them down at every opportunity) instead of the 'mine's better than yours' pettiness that goes on? Surely it can only be a good thing for hockey in general - Indian hockey and top players particularly - if the WSH were to become an established, properly sanctioned top class event.

I don't understand the vitriol. I really don't.

ivyleague likes this.
  9. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I think the format is good but what I dont like is that they are turning against FIH and constantly telling the press they have "won" against FIH and HI they have yet not won a thing since all players have been banned and their future hockey careers are ruined. I dont see how people can support IHF since they got derecognised for beeing a highly corrup association in the first place.

Just look at the ten top goals from WSH which really isnt anything special compared to the stuff we have seen in EHL this weekend.

I hope FIH, HI and IHF can find a solution which will lead to the next rounds of WSH will be an approved event which might attract more players which will make the quality of the event higher.

If people still think WSH is better then I would really want to see an EHL allstar team play and WSH allstar team.

10. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

No is saying it is better than EHL in Season 1. What is simply so good is that in Season 1 despite of having so many issues, WSH managed really good rating. It was regularly covered in Times of India (Biggest Newspaper of India), we had full houses at many venues, so many sponsors lined up both for WSH & the teams, the TV broadcast were full of advertisement (Even PHL could not manage that). HI and FIH tried every trick in the book to not let it happen. HI called a camp every time dates were announced. Anyways I hope all the 3 Hockey bodies (FIH, HI & IHF) get over their Ego's and move towards a solution.

What amazes me the most is how FIH tried to interfere. It has earned a lot of negative publicity. Check any page which covers Hockey in India, and Facebook page of the same, you will realize howmuch Hockey lovers are behind WSH and shunning HI who have actually done even nothing but eat money after coming to power.

I am sure by next season these back end issues will be solved and more and more Indian, European & Australian Stars playing the tournament. The Stars will be more than willing to play here because no one will be paying them on the scale of 40,000$ and above for a month anywhere else and each team can have 6 International stars.

I was positive for this tournament and it was really good. I am even more positive on the next one and surely the Haters will have to eat their words when next year it happens.

11. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

MK, jashan83 - I have deleted your recent exchange on this thread.

jashan83 - MK may have worded his thoughts about Indian hockey strongly, but he did so constructively and decently. Nothing that he said deserved the personal insults that you hurled at him. Please keep your conversation decent or you will be banned from FHF. Thank you.

Redumpire
    FHF Moderator

12. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

Reumpire, people have been here in a discussion and I was doing the same, however Mr MK has gone racist and called Indians a Joke (Read the closing lines again). He wants to go strong on hockey then he should be limited the Administrators or fans, but no one gives him the right to give such racist comments and not 1 time but repeating it again.

It is like in a hockey discussion I suddenly calling English or Dutch or Spanish by some name. How would you feel. I simply cannot take the racist comments again my country or it's people

(Apologies to other for bringing in other comments in this Hockey thread as I will not stand racism)

13. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Jarshan, I also abhor racism.

MK's posts may have been provocative, but they were in no way racist. He clearly criticised the administrators and fans of Indian hockey. You then made several "anti-Western" comments (to use your phraseology, not mine) in your posts. They were also provocative, but were not racist and on their own would not have led me to remove the posts. However you then descended into personal abuse, which is why I deleted the exchange.

As far as I am concerned this issue is now closed. If you are unhappy with my actions please take it up with steve or Kilmory.

I will leave the thread open for the time being as it is potentially an interesting area for discussion, but I will not hesitate to lock it if it provokes further unpleasant exchanges.

14. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

Well the comment read "Joke fans, Joke Administrators, Joke Country". The first 2 are in the terms of Hockey discussion but third one is called the Race of Indians a Joke which clearly is big time racism (And it came first), which is quite racist. If this is not racist then what is racist. Why drag the country into it. Everybody knows the Administration is pathetic but that does imply to the whole country. My "Anti Western" comments came after this according to you not so racist comments.

Anyways, I have been here for hockey, and have discussions on the same. I surely would try to ignore such people who clearly are here trolling out of their hate. I would also like to put this case to rest and will keep updating any news on HI-IHF-FIH. There surely is gonna be lot of action as Mr Negre with his team is coming to India to help solve this useless mess. Hoping for the best

15. jashan83

jashan83 FHF Newbie

FIH president Negre's India visit postponed, now in April End

NEW DELHI: International Hockey Federation (FIH) president Leandro Negre's proposed visit to India this week has been postponed for the time being due to personal problems.

With an aim to resolve the long-standing dispute between Hockey India and Indian Hockey Federation, the FIH president was scheduled to arrive on Tuesday on a three-day visit.

But according to sources in HI, Negre has deferred his visit till the end of this month.

"Leandro Negre has postponed his tour to India. We don't know the exact reason but it seems he has some personal problems. He is now expected to come here by the end of this month or early May," a source in HI said.

Negre, along with FIH vice-president Antonio von Ondarza and chief executive officer Kelly Fairweather, were scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and hold meetings with all the concerned parties to sort out the differences between HI and IHF before leaving the country on April 13.

Earlier this year during the London Olympic qualifiers, Negre had promised to visit India soon to help both HI and IHF in sorting out their differences.

During Olympic qualifiers in February this year, the FIH president had given both HI and IHF a month's time to resolve their problems.

But more than a month has passed and the two warring federations have so far failed to find out a solution.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ndia-visit-postponed/articleshow/12608441.cms

16. MK

MK FHF Legend

jashan83

Im of Indian descent. Im a British Sikh.
    How does that make me racist.

17. rehanahmed0

rehanahmed0 FHF Reserve Player

i will say it was a success.never understand why FIH got problems with that tournament.

18. rehanahmed0

Leagues like world series will help Asian hockey cause.I bet if this league continues ,within in few years ,asia is going to dominate in hockey.Just like the indian cricket league(IPL) did in the cricket world.I think every European and Australian player will prefer world series over their continental leagues.the prize money for the champions was US$ 800,000.which will increase in the next edition.I think the prize money for the winning team in euro hockey league is just 20,000 euro.US$ 200,000 was the prize money for the best player in world hockey series.The prize money for the best player in euro hockey league was just 5,000 euros.I still cann't understand why FIH is against this league which has given a new life to Asian hockey.

19. MK

MK FHF Legend

within in few years ,asia is going to dominate in hockey.

havent we been hearing this since the debacle of 1986!

20. rehanahmed0

Mk you must be sleeping after 1986 and must woke up yesterday.Pakistan won the 1994 champions trophy.they were runner up in 88, 91,96,98 .Pakistan came third in 86,92,95,2002,2003 and 2004. India came fouth in 96,2002,2003,2004.Korea were runners up in 1999.they came third in 2000 and 2009.pakistan were world champions in 1994 and Korean came fourth in 2002 and 2006.So every year even after 1986 at least one Asian team was performing well.Pakistan performed well until 2005.After that most of the players in the top pool left Pakistan and start playing league hockey all around the world.they settled their and never came back. This left Pakistan with nothing .The top players plus their all replacement left.It's just like that Pakistan's national a,b and c teams all traveling in a plane and the plane crashes.Either they left due to board's policies or financial reasons.I myself played at a club in England for two months "slough hockey club" where most of the players were from Pakistan and i found so many Pakistani players who were in the A side of Pakistan.Now after the origin of Malaysian hockey league and world hockey series which pays more than European clubs Pakistani players are staying at home.The problem with Asian hockey was lack of funding and infrastructure.Now they got both funding and infrastructure.The proof is the last champions trophy and world were nominated to Indian and Pakistan by FIH.Even sohail abbas left pakistan for two years and lived in Holland.Otherwise he must have score 360 + goals by now.