Oakley GK Kit

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by GK13, Jul 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

Hi all,

Wondered whether anyone's had an opportunity to try any of Oakley's goalie kit? I have to confess, I completely missed their product launch: until I stumbled across it yesterday, I hadn't realised they even did gk kit!

Looks quite nice, though, although it's clearly just an OBO rip-off:

http://oakleyhockey.co.uk/shop/goalkeeper-equipment/

2. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Their stuff looks familiar...:rolleyes:

3. Krebsy

It looks like they have ripped off a brand name from a major eyewear manufacturer and the kit from a major NZ GK kit manufacturer. I wonder how long they will last before they are sued into oblivion?

4. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

Yeah, I did wonder about the name and whether 'Oakley Hockey Ltd' is sufficiently different from the eyewear brand to avoid copyright claims. The Director is one James Oakley, but don't know whether that makes any difference.

Trying to imagine what the USP of OBO gear is, that they could claim is protected by copyright. Thoughts?

5. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

The photos that got posted here a month or so ago looked they had terrible build quality.

6. FatForward

FatForward FHF Top Player

Tort of passing off I think it is called and I don't think any two cases are the same so it's difficult to use a precedent. It's whether the eyewear company think this hockey company is impacting their brand. As I'm married to an optician my first thought was this is a change in direction for Oakley !

7. Krebsy

It all depends on what patents OBO have on the shape of the pads.
    My thoughts based upon observation of the marketplace:

1. Obo do not seem to have a patent protecting them from UK/European firms using 2 types of foam to create a high/low rebound zone on their legguards as Monarch and Mercian both have similar.
    2. The shape of the pads cannot be protected by patent as they are insufficiently distinct from other pads. (mercian, monarch again, similar in the features on the pads)
    3. The internal kicker-strap design has been copied by TK, but they have subsequently moved away from that, which may suggest that OBO have a patent and TK infringed it. (This is speculation, i have no evidence.)
    4. You cannot copyright a shape such as the shape of their pads, so patents aside, I don't think copying the shape is anything other than a little naughty.
    It will be interesting to see how long Oakley maintain this shape for. I remember Gryphon, I think it was, many years ago copied the Robo pads for a while. This didn't last. (It may not have been Gryphon)

8. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

I could maybe see the kicker tongue locking design, or something in the construction technique or the specific way the different foam types are put together in the kicker (which I doubt oakley have copied anyway). Or the old TK kicker fastening design that had a sort of dial on top of the kicker to twist. I think. I didn't actually have a pair, so going from memory of what another goalie used.

Here's a very old article suggesting that obo haven't patented anything: http://blog.obo.co.nz/from-humble-beginnings/

Yep. Think they'd be better off copying some things, rather than being such an obvious substandard ripoff.

Don't think it was Gryphon. If it was, it was more than 15 years ago.

9. Krebsy

Totally agree. It shows a complete lack of imagination coupled with no desire to make something good. Simply tick boxes to create something which doesn't actually do what it says on the tin.

sidecarclive likes this.
  10. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Gryphon did make a copy and I think they used to call them Gryphon Evo X they were black and had a large gryphon logo on the side of the legguards.

11. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    Other than everything else above the olive green hole punched straps really bug me.
    A) The holes are too big for the fastener, giving it too much wiggle room which will probably snap the strap long before it wears out on the bottom.
    B) £200 for these and £260.55 for OBO is the £60 worth the trade off in the perceived build quality?

Without actually trying them out a lot of it is hearsay but until a impartial person comes forward with an honest review or there's a taster kit about I can try.
    All I can go on is some pictures on a website, I think I need to start a GK Kit Review YouTube channel who wants to send me stuff to review?

P.S. The GB flag looks wonky too!

12. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

You don't actually need to 'copyright' a shape. Shapes are automatically protected as design rights. However, such protection only applies for 10 years from going on sale or 15 years from creation.

Krebsy likes this.
  13. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I think there's an American company , kuba or similar that have produced the same shape kit.
    There's a thread on here somewhere and I m sure I ve seen companies in India that "borrow" shape of obo stuff

14. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

Are you thinking of Kuka?

15. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

That will be the one to lazy too go looking .......

sidecarclive likes this.
  16. TheGingerOne

TheGingerOne FHF Reserve Player

I never thought I'd get to use my day job (as a patent attorney) on this forum!

1. As far as I can tell (quick search), Obo don't have any patents at all.
    2. As Inselaffen points out, shapes can be protected by unregistered design right, which is automatic, so they may have that, but proving that someone copied is another thing entirely.
    3. Again, no patents I can find, so unlikely to be the case. I'd guess TK just wanted to do their own thing.
    No IP at all for Obo. Perhaps in what is such a small market they feel they can rely on brand awareness to keep the sales - it seems to have worked so far! On the other hand, if anyone from Obo would like some IP advice, they know where to find me... ;)

17. sidecarclive

sidecarclive FHF Starter

monarch used to have a patent on the way the kicker straps were used ,but that patent run out about 7 years ago.

18. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mercian Znake (x2; pink and orange) Grays GX5000
    Why do they only post partial shots of their gear? You have to go looking for the full shots which were presumably taken in someone's back yard. Hardly enticing and especially since there are no measurements on the site.....and only size large.
    The union flags on the leg guards look wrong too. I'm by no means OCD but that would put me off before the ridiculous price tag.

19. Simon_GK_Mason

Simon_GK_Mason FHF Legend

Question will be where are they made and from what? Majority of TOP (some junior kit production in random places) kit is made in a few similar places. OBO was NZ and I don't know differently although 'rumours' have suggest a move to Asia but the foam and techniques will be the same to preserve brand quality. TK and Brabo used to be Eastern European but using a similar foam to Mercian / Grans / Mazon etc. Again rumour is that some TK production has gone to Pakistan but using imported UK made foam. Mercian / Grays / Mazon / Slazenger still uk made with UK foam. Monarch UK made with UK foam and utilising the sublimated outer layer that Pinner wears. So question with any GK foam is what is the quality of the moulds used to ensure consistent size and shape, what are the techniques and adhesives used to bond the foam together. (Vital if glues are used as wrong adhesive in European winters will see the glue get brittle and shatter and the entire pad de-laminate), finally what foam is used. Incorrect foam will limit rebound and add weight, difficult to ask that to a manufacturer but a simple weight comparison for a laggard will tell you if it is a lightweight, modern pad, with god rebound characteristics, or a heavy, high density (very protective) low rebound item. I don't have the answers to the quality of the Oakley kit as have no first hand knowledge of it, but they are the questions that a prospective buyer need to ask.

Snoody and GK13 like this.
  20. sidecarclive

sidecarclive FHF Starter

also the foams that mercian and monarch use do not leak out any toxic fumes/gasses,because of the way the foams are manufactured in the first place.