OBO lifespan

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by James0510, Jan 25, 2018.

1. James0510

James0510 FHF Newbie

Hi everyone just wondering what your experiences have been with the life of OBO Robo kit. I have some of my kit and some of the schools because they splashed out on Robo kit, however I need larger kit than what we have and need some arguments up my sleeve to convince our head of hockey to buy me some Robo kit Any personal opinions would be greatly appreciated
    James

2. ^Muppet^

^Muppet^ FHF Regular Player

Depends which part of the kit you are talking about. My hi-rebound leg guards are probably 7 years old and going strong (I only play on water based pitches) and my hi-control kickers are maybe 4 seasons old but I am starting to feel the harder shots coming in a lot more than I did. Chest, the elastic lost its stretch within the first year of having it (older design which I believe was subsequently fixed) but will probably go forever or until my sweat finally eats through the seams. Elbows the same story, no elastic but you can just tie them up to the right size. Fibreglass helmet has been going 6 years with no signs of degradation or failure other than a bit of rust in the joins of the grill. Groin protector is 2 seasons old and no concerns on that either.

Annw and James0510 like this.
  3. James0510

James0510 FHF Newbie

Thank you for the advice have you seen any degradation of the quality of rebound on the kickers and leg guards?

4. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

The kickers will lose their bounce but generally not their protection.

The body armour I've had has barely lasted 18 months, chestpad still solid but anything involving joints / elastic / stitching /straps etc. started to come apart.

5. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

THe foam if looked after will last for years , the leg guards longer than kickers. Performance of the kickers in terms of rebound will go down , hi rebound quicker than hi control but shouldn’t lose protection. As a non obo user it pains me to say that they are the best value in terms of durability and resale value .....

6. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Both the cloud and the yahoo foam ranges have excellent durability, I think they're probably even more durable than the robo, and may better suit both the competition level and the budget of a school team, be easier to persuade them to buy.

7. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

This is really good advice. Makes a lot more sense than the standard "You get what you pay for".

8. G

G FHF All Time Great

Even more so if you get them in the November sale...

9. Simon_GK_Mason

Simon_GK_Mason FHF Legend

Or alternatively you could look at other brands international standard legguards. 'shameless plug' but the Mercian Pro Legguards with the 'slide' skin are cheaper than the cloud legguards and are being used at international level. The legguards that George Pinner has designed will be more expensive when they come out but even then there are some good value alternatives where you can get enhanced protection and rebound without the premium price.

Graeme85 likes this.
  10. James0510

James0510 FHF Newbie

I already have the Robo kit as I play up 2 years in the U18 team and I find that it provides a great slide on water based pitches and great protection and has lasted for so long. The only reason I needed new kit was because I have grown and the school only owned 1 large Robo kit which was given to another older U18 keeper. However will relay to our head of hockey that he should buy hi control due to its superior durability as I help him with buying the kits and sorting them because it is a complete mess in the store with kit from 20 years ago still. Luckily got the new kit so really buzzing about that thank you for all of your replies

11. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    Please tell me it has a name this time. Not like the Monarch naming using his twitter handle

12. Legroth

Legroth FHF Newbie

I have had my Robo pads since 2015, I have been training/playing about 7/15 hours a week, about 45 weeks a year and they have lasted my abuse. I am very aggressive and slide a lot. Usually the field I play on is dried out so they take some wear but they still work fine too this day