Review Osaka PRO TOUR Low Bow

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by LeT7, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Regular Player

So there I was, on field hockey forum 9 months ago, browsing the definitive list of Hockey stick Manufacturers when I came across "Check out Osaka Hockey" Thread, so without further ado, I (liking anything Japanese or had a Japanese association) jumped on the site to see. "Wait for the September launch"....grrr. Oh well, never mind, being a bit of a stick whore, I had plenty to keep me going till it was launched which it eventually did in October. The Site is simple but the products, branding and image all look ace. Patience is a virtue! Pricing for a new brand was quite high and adventurous in my opinion, especially when you are trying to gain market share from many established brands as well as many up and coming brands whom are selling direct with no middle man. Anyhow, I proceeded in ordering (online from Belgium) the Top of the range PRO TOUR Low Bow as used by half the Belgium Internationals. It duly arrived a couple of days later via courier and then it struck me that this may be something you normally associate with an Apple product, there are out of box experiences and then there is the Osaka out of box experience.

Out_of_Box.JPG

Along with the Stick came a stick bag, Chamois Grip, I love Osaka Hockey Sunglasses and a Osaka Hockey String Bracelet ! What a pleasant surprise ! People will invariably have opinons whether the glasses are good quality or waste of space but all in all for me, whether you like or find them useful or not, these are nice touches and shows how much the people behind this are trying to build the brand.

The Stick : Beautiful Carbon Weave Finish

Carbon_Weave.JPG

The Head : Touch Compound (Very similar to the one found on the 2011 Addidas range)

Touch_compound.JPG

So ....how does it play? More later........but OSAKA hockey has definetly arrived !!!

http://www.osakahockey.com/

2. Martindk

Martindk FHF Regular Player

Are you selling this brand or just a extremely happy customer ?

3. aman7

aman7 FHF Starter

that is epic! I want one :O but i spent my money on a rakshak, not a bad deal for what i got and may as well write a review on it

4. John

John FHF Legend

please do

5. The Indian Maharadja

The Indian Maharadja FHF Newbie

Mod edit. Please restrict advertising to the appropriate place on the Forum.

Thanks
    Redumpire.

6. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Regular Player

I am not selling this brand, just adding my thoughts and experience of this new brand to the forum.

7. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Regular Player

Right - been thinking how I can review this stick ....... and its tough!

My thoughts so far are that it is like an extension of your arm, it is very refined and responsive (I do not mean it shatters and vibrates when you hit the ball!!) and in the way that it appears to be a part of you. The balance is superb, aerials and drags, depending on your skill level is effortless. Hits extremly well and again appears seemingly effortless but it does not hit as hard as the Gryphon Pro tour (Nothing I know hits harder than this stick).

I have liken this Osaka Pro tour as an evolution of the Addidas TT10 I had a couple of years ago. OK, the late bend is not as crazy but the feel, touch and abilities seem to be a nice step above that of the TT10. The profile and head thickness is neat and streamline for every required skill sets.

All in all it is a quality stick but the 100% carbon version comes with a pretty hefty price tag but a lighter carbon content version (70%) and are also available at a significantly lower cost. Unfortunately I am not able to tell you the difference between the two.

Want a hard hitting/slapping stick where you want to bury the ball and keeper into the back of the net - get a Gryphon Pro Tour
    Want more precision, feel, touch and control you cannot go far wrong with this Osaka Pro tour

Just my opinion !

8. aman7

aman7 FHF Starter

i will in a while coz i have exams around and am going to be busy...but luckily have a few hockey tournaments around too so ill try out the stick there and write a review :)

9. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

crap just saw this post....damn i wish i could get the illegal one...but the price is a jaw dropper..........esp to the oceania region

10. gerard

If all companies were like this we would buy more..

11. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Regular Player

i believe Gilmour sports are distributing Osaka from next month or so and they ship internationally , add more cost to the jaw dropping price ;)!! ....but you may be unique in the Oceania region! (www.gilmoursports.com) 5% off for field hockey forum members ;) !

12. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

their website looks more at home in a style magazine than the sports scene...but hey, i'm a relic. what would i know.

the sticks look nice at least. and they do brown. wahey.

13. gerard

LOL its ok i will stick to oceania and asia....the only sticks i buy from UK is in ITALY..

14. MOFV

MOFV FHF Regular Player

Hey think about switching from an Adidas HS1 adibow 24 to a Osaka Pro Tour Low Bow for the next season. In how far you can compare the bows of the sticks? Is the low bow of the Osaka something extreme like the XXtreme bow of Adidas sticks or more like a late bow?!

15. dmvd

dmvd FHF Starter

Its more like xxtreme .
    The low bow is as much down as possible

If you dont dragflick i would go for the normal bow.
    Osaka is an belgium brand and almost the all belgium national team plays with it. Check them at the olympics next week ;)

The regular shape is a verry good stick. I would certenly buy it it you want a powerful and skill stick.

Cheers

16. MOFV

MOFV FHF Regular Player

Thanks for the answer man. I already had some contact with Stephen Butler, owner of the brand, via eMail. Osaka seems to be a nice alternative.

17. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Regular Player

Osaka is now available in the United Kingdom from Gilmour Sports..........woohooo! Also check out Gilmour new website

18. The Indian Maharadja

The Indian Maharadja FHF Newbie

19. anaPHX

anaPHX FHF Starter

I tried the Pro Tour mid bow and 3.1 series low bow today. I have to say the 3.1 series stick was.. amazing! I directly fell in love with it, the handling was awesome..dragflicking has never been easier... good hit...

with the pro tour mid bow I had an amazing feeling too, but Im sure the low bow will be my perfect stick. Hitting is better than the 3.1 although I felt the vibration (but I will just put another grip tape over the original, I always do that)

anyway I also tried the new indianmaharadja sticks (I went to gunnmansports in eindhoven) and I have to say they are nice, but when I hit the ball I doesnt feel good...dribbling feels much better with osaka..

So I go all the way for OSAKA! :)

20. anaPHX

anaPHX FHF Starter

My stick already broke after playing one game... and I have the 100% carbon one...

after my first training I already had a lot of scratches on it... I'm a bit disappointed that it won't even last one game

mazon1986 likes this.