Overcoming fear in hockey

Discussion in '(Archived) Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Peakey, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Offline

Peakey FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    So, finals are coming up.

This season my team has been at the top of the ladder. We've recently been pushed down to second,.
    But that's not important.
    The reason for this post is me being curious. Does anyone out there have some sort of special trick to kill fear? Is there a psycological thing you can do to stop being afraid?

The team that has just been moved up to first on the ladder have been nipping at out heels all season. We're just as good as they are, but the difference is they are vicious.
    Don't get me wrong, I love a hard game of hockey. But these guys won't think twice about smacking the ball full strength into your face. If a ball is raised, they'll definitely have a go at it. Bottom line is, they cause injuries. And when you walk off the field after facing them with bruised foot, ankle, fingers and trembling hands because you barely ducked 2-3 headshots, of course the fear of serious injury or death starts to creep in.

So is there anything that people do to get over this? Definitely want to beat them in the finals and we have a real shot at winning the title this year.
    Or, is it simply a matter of 'suck it up'.
  2. Offline

John FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Think this is going to be a simple case of who wants it more.
  3. Offline

mongoose FHF Starter

Message Count:
    Well there's 2 ways to deal with that. First, just concentrate on your game. You know what to expect from them. If you're expecting a rough game then adjust your game to suit. If they're trying to take people out and what not then there's going to be a few opportunities when they get it wrong. If it's really bad then have a word to the umpire.

Plan B is to give as good as you get. Just don't make it blatant. Playing dirty and not getting caught is a dark art!

Importantly though, the more you think about it, the worse you'll play because it's all you'll think about. Just put it to the back of your mind and head out there to kick arse.
  4. Offline

GravelBen FHF Starter

Message Count:
    ;) Just treat the threat as motivation to stop them getting the ball - they can't hit it at you if they don't have it!
  5. Offline

animal FHF Legend

Message Count:
    After six or so years of copping the same crap from the same underqualified, overinflated. dare I say, biased umpires the only thing you can do is "suck it up". Let your superior fitness (giving you superior reflexes) rule the day. Nothing is more pitiful than a cheat (and that is what these guys are) losing because they are simply not good enough despite their spoiling tactics. Go get 'em Cougars
  6. Offline

geriverstik50

Message Count:
    Stop worrying about them and concentrate on what you do. Feel the fear, but embrace it and do it anyway.And good luck.