Pakistan should abondon international hockey

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by asrar737, Sep 13, 2006.

1. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

Pakistan has an impressive record in hockey! But that is fastly deteriorating! Shamful defeat of 9-2 at the hands of the dutch at CT 2006. Once it hold all five tiltes - World champions to Asian Games! Now they only hold South Asian title!

In order to preserve its outstanding record, Pakistan should abondon international hockey! Becasue in current secnario, there is not chance that Pakistan will re-emerge as a victorious team in Hockey.

2. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

surely becoming insular is not the answer. In my opinion in order to become the best you need to play against the best. Abandonning international competition will give no incentive and no challenge

3. asrar737

Hockey is dead in Pakistan! Hockey fields are deserted here! Pakistan hockey revloves around 100 or so players! No grass root level hockey! No school level hockey! Pakistan better play gulli danda!

4. asrar737

Another embarrissing result! Australia 3 Pakistan 0!

They should quit hockey forever!

5. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

While not understanding the politics if what you say is right then they will no choice but fall out if the international scene because they do not have a Junior Development program. No Juniors no seniors No hockey.

If you live in the past all you will do is repeat the past and not learn from it, that is why you have a history to learn from not repeat.

I lnow this sounds trite but a waterfall only starts with one drop, all you need is a person who agrees with you that can change the direction or you need to be in a position where you are able to affect change, if you are neither then you need to generate support for what you believe. If you can not develop support then you can not stop the inevitable.

6. asrar737

Basically with the introduction of artificial turf, hockey is more about fitness and strength than skills! And as a nation, we are weaker/less healthier than the people in the west or even Korea and Japan. The skills advantage we had over others has become redundant now.

Interests in any game or hockey depend upon winning of the national team here in this part of the world. If they continue to loose and loose only, nobody would like to watch them and follow them!

I predict that in 10 years or so Pakistan will automatically be out of international hockey as it will fail to qualify for the qualifying round of the world cup!

7. @@@

@@@ FHF Regular Player

Well you've just beaten the dutch so things aren't all bad

8. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Point 1
    This almost is a kind of reverse racisim, are you saying that you have reached the peak of your physical development and as a race can no longer improve and the reason for this is lack of food. I'm not trying to be insulting but blaming your genetic makeup as a reason is a little far fetched. If skill and natural talent got you to a point without much effort then is it not possible for people without the skill and natural talent also be able to get to that same point? The difference is effort one side has to try the other doesn't and the one that does try WILL overtake the ones who sit back relax and rely on talent. Korea has risen because of training, development and effort are you trying to say that they are physically more developed and eat better?

Point 2.
    Look at Australia as an example very little support for the National Team, even when they win there is not much coverage. There is very little if any media coverage in the newspapers, radio or TV BUT we can still manage to produce a class team. Hockey Australia tries to introduce programs to get players involved at the grass roots, my thoughts are they change these too regularly and not allow them to develop plus they do not market our national players in the same way other sports do.

I'm not trying to incite a heated debate or trying to flame you.... but would it not be better to ask for help than make excuses, talk is easy action is hard.

9. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Yeah im with magpie sorry. Look at the australians or the spainish, they have been very effective at 'melding' the two schools of natural flair and fitness/drilled techniques. I think personally if Pakistan was to get back to the top then they have a very good 'scrambling' part of the game to show, in that when play breaks down they arent like the netherlands or the germans who need to get the ball back to the fullbacks in order to regroup, they can just turn around and go at the net again, never gives the opposition a break and helps to build up sustained pressure over longer periods of time. thats what ive noticed about australian hockey is the ability of players to get the ball and turn around and go at the net before the other players even realise the ball has been stolen.

10. Redscotty

Redscotty FHF Regular Player

Hey Asrar,

all things go in cycles mate.

There will be a time when Pakistan comes back, its just a case of weathering the storm through the hard times. If the fields are empty, then go find the young players. Because if there is no-one doing that the fields will remain empty and you will regret that all your life.

You must find other true believers, and stay the distance, work out strategys that improve the situation. I dont know your individual circumstances, and I agree that Hockey is about strngth and skill but your cricketers show that Pakistanis have both of those, what you need to do is convince youngsters to start playing again.

Get into the schools, tell them of your passion for this beutiful game, give them a reason to train and compete, tell them of the proud history of Hockey in your country. Seek assistance from governmant and business, find local media outlets to support your efforts, ensure that youngsters recieve some form of recognition in local media. Try having carnival days thatare open invitation for kids to compete. Get Girls and boys playing together, Set goals for yourself, small ones like "we will have an U16 Boys and Girls team for our club next year,

ensure skill sessions are challenging but achievable by begginers, have development programs in place for better players, play representitive matches as often as you can against other districts.

Man, you must NEVER give up. I have seen a grass roots program in Fiji that is starting to bear the fruit of many years of labour by dedicated individuals. These dedicated people are who you must seek out.

in the end, YOU must take responsibility for what YOU can accomplish. waiting for others to make the nessesary changes will not work.

"the longest journey begins with a single step"

11. jimdonuts

jimdonuts FHF Regular Player

i agree with redscotty, puck up asrar!! Did you see Abdul Razzaq's 75 run boom in the last 5 overs againts the Brits?

Redscotty's quote is also very fitting

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" -Lao Tzu (that's what you meant right?)

12. Redscotty

13. Redscotty

Asrar,

just a example of what I mean,

we have an old boy in our club. We had our 75th anniversary a couple of years ago, and he told a story of the mid 50's when the WHOLE CLUB consisted of 6 blokes and him as president. They worked hard, found some blokes, and kept the team on the paddock.

Our club WON the grand final this year, with a team ENTIRELY made up of blokes who had come all the way through juniors to the top level. If Ross ahd thrown in the towel all those years ago, there would BE no club at all. But he and his mates stuck to their guns and here we are 50 yeras later, still going strong.

Beleive in yourself, find some mates and give it a smoking hot go.

14. asrar737

I appreciate all the comments of you guys! But hockey is slowly dying in Pakistan because it has been abondoned by hockey people themselves! So no one else cares about it! So many of hockey grounds have disappeared or taken by cricket in Karachi - the largest city of Pakistan (perhaps world's 2nd largest). Things elsewhere in the country are also not encouraging. Hockey is limited to a few towns up in the north!

Sad days for Pakistan hockey! Finishing out of top 4 for the third consecutive world cup!

15. asrar737

I wonder if they will finish among top four at the Doha Asian Games in December either! They have to e challenge of Japan and Malaysia! Both of the teams are capable of defeating them!

16. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Well Asrar i know hockey is bigger in pakistan than in Sweden and form what i hear you still got your proffessional league (company teams right?)
    trust me to not play international games will only lead to lower qualety and if you leave internaional competition its hard to get games against good nations
    our president of the swedish association was a technical officer in the world cup and TD in the woman world cup qualefyers and he got problems finding games for us against even "low level" national teams
    i watched Pakistan at the hamburg masters last year and they are not a bad team

17. Redscotty

Asrar,

Mate, we have a rugby league team here called the Rabbitos. They are the most succesful team EVER in Rugby League, having won the premiership on 20 occasions.

This year they ran last, but they have a faithfull army of fans who will ride out the bad times, eventually they will be back on top.

You must take respnsibility, and just keep fighting for the beautiful game in your country. If that means getting into those small towns up north and starting there, so be it. Remember, it took the Australians 47 years to win an Olympic gold medal, but eventually they did it.

Keep the faith

18. asrar737

September 17, 2006

Below par for sure

To finish the pool in the manner in which Pakistan did at the World Cup is definitely below the expectations of the nation and the followers of the game. This is as mild a statement as I can possibly make on the team’s performance. I had hoped in one of my earlier columns that the Hamburg disaster that had preceded the World Cup might come handy at the global gathering because it would have made the team and the team management aware of the shortcomings. However, all hopes came to nothing.

Pakistan’s victory against Japan in the opening match turned out to be the highest point in the team’s record as far as the pool stage is concerned. The 4-0 scoreline was, indeed, comfortable, but at best it was a sketchy performance with the goals coming in two clusters; one early in the match, and the other one coming late in the second half. In between, the team had several chances that went begging, and even the Japanese made some good moves. However, nothing succeeds like success and 4-0 was a commendable scoreline. That it included goals from penalty corners as well as from the forward line was a bonus and gave us all something to look forward to.

Then came the 4-4 draw against New Zealand, which threw a rather early spanner in the works as far as Pakistan was concerned. It was nice to score four goals, but none of it came to much because three of them were equalisers. Only once in the match Pakistan actually had the lead. Even then the team had shown some resilience. Those following the game on the television had a bitter taste in the mouth, but there still was hope.

Such hopes were boosted by the 2-2 draw against Spain. Even though going into the match Pakistan needed to have an outright victory to compensate for the draw against New Zealand, it was still some consolation that the match ended in a tie. Spain has been the most phenomenal team in international hockey in the recent past, and has covered a lot of ground in a relatively short period of time to rank alongside the very best. Spain was the team that had inflicted the heaviest defeat at the Hamburg Masters with an embarrassing 6-2 victory, and so even a draw gave some heart to the hockey fans.

All they needed to do was then to defeat Argentina with a reasonable goal difference and hope for the best against Australia, a side against which Pakistan historically plays better hockey than against the Europeans. However, the loss against Argentina put paid to any further hopes. There might be a case of Pakistan being unlucky on the day with at least two shots clearly hitting the crossbar, but there can be no excuse for the forwards who fumbled with the ball inside the circle and missed out on a few occasions. The Argentineans continuously threw themselves on the ground to stretch their reach and the Pakistanis had no way of overcoming the problems. It was as painful to watch as it must have been for the players to lose to a side much junior to it in terms of the game’s history and world rankings.

Against Australia, it was a no-show as far as the Pakistanis are concerned. For most of the game, perhaps except ten of the last 15 minutes, the Pakistanis were a miserable sight on the field, not knowing what to do and how to go about doing it.

With the initial target of making it to the semi-finals already having been missed out, it is time for the team to continue focussing on the assignment at hand, and to ensure a place in the next edition of the Champions Trophy. Call it damage control, if you so wish. Their next opponents are Holland, mind you. Let’s wish them luck.

19. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    so what asrar?

It is time to look into the future and forget all about the nonsense talk.

I do think that both Indian and Pakistan hockey will never be at the top of the game because:

• They ALWAYS blame others for shortcomings
    • They ALWAYS look back and not into the future
    • They prefer to talk instead of action

99% of the country population is like that so really.....there's no hope that hockey will ever improve over there!

20. asrar737

When did we blame others for our failures?
    Things are simple!
    We can not afford to have too many turfs in our country!
    As such numbers of hockey players are shrinking
    Without players, you can not do anything!