Pakistan should abondon international hockey

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by asrar737, Sep 13, 2006.

1. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

But remember without India and Pakistan! hockey will remain a minority sport in the West! A handful of spectators! A meagre 12,000 to watch the final of the world cup! A shameful crowd of less 5,000 at Terrrssa CT.

All the bull shit efforts by the FIH to make hockey attractive, has not brought any thing good for hockey over the years! Instead hockey has lost its charm for South Asia! Where a record crowd of 75,000 watched Paksitan - India match at Islamabad in 1985! Can europe match it???

It will always come sport number 35 of out 35 sports in Germany despite their world cup victory!

2. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

you have to remember that most of the world just play for fun even if your the best player of the whole scandinavia you wont earn a quid there will never be allot of spectators but why do people still play fieldhockey in scandinavia
    because we enjoy the sport sweden have never been a big hockey contry but small hockey contrys can sometimes shine aswell (i remember 1998 when sweden drawed with spain)
    does it really matters if your contry never plays in the worldcup? sure we all dream to have our contry in the world cup but for most contrys thats not the reality
    be proud of the pakistan team cause you got a long and intressting history

3. nadeem

nadeem FHF Regular Player

the world cup is over.for pakistan, result was a foregone conclusion & i said it months earlier.i did not watch it on tv but from the 4 of the tallest peaks in the world beside everest.from K-2,Nanga Parbat,Gashurbrum1 & 2 from the height of above 28000 ft Mochengladbach was very clear.asrar,i know what happened in last 10 yrs.but let us live to fight another day.let us be counted rather than be counted out.in defeat let us be more resolute.one example,see where Holland has dipped.the team which whipped us 9-2 only one month before.congrats to Germany on winning
    since i m back i'll keep posting new things.sorry could not participate in ur pro.

nadeem
    pakistan

4. asrar737

Pakistan plays only in hockey world cup! (Cricket is not an olyampic sport)! Sweden plays in many world cups!

5. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

nadeem is there some way we can help asrar737 as they appear to be suicidal, by that I mean they have given up and there appears to be no light at the end of the table, why treat it when you can end it.

The fact that Pakistan has choosen to appoint a person from the outside is a good sign as that means that they acknowledge that proffesionals should administer the sport not the people who play. There is also nothing like a fresh set of eyes, your problem is going to people like yourself who have given up all hope and would rather help them to fail than help them to succeed.

Failing is easy, do nothing, say nothing, undermine the people who are doing the opposite to you do these things and you are on the right path. You put down the people who are trying and have condemened them to failure before they can begin, how will it have a chance with people like you who preach fire and brimstone but do nothing.

Wake up and smell the coffee, get a life and help hockey not hinder hockey. :mad:

6. @@@

@@@ FHF Regular Player

??? Thats a new one :p

7. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    AMEN!

8. asrar737

I give up! I better quit and play gulli danda! Cheers Steve!

9. nadeem

asrar, it seems u have a very prejudiced mind.playing gulli danda is no answer.we must be realistic.we r not the standard bearers of this world.for that matter nobody is.i know we have shortage of astro turfs.despite this we r in the top six.let us be more resourceful.the results will come.patience is required.
    unfortunately things did not work in the last 10 yrs.nobody knows better then me but we must keep moving.cheer up

nadeem

10. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Thanks nadeem, but it look like we were too late to save to doomsayer from defeat. Please forgive my ignorance but what is gulli danda?

11. nadeem

mag, danda means stick(around 3 ft long made of wood) with which u hit the gulli(made of wood)about 3 inches with sharp ends.with danda u hit one side of the edge.as it bounces of the ground u hit with the stick.the farther it goes the better it is.then u lay the stick on the ground& tell the opponents to strike it.the moment it strikes ur teams innings is over.cheapest way of entertainment.
    i sincerely hope my mate asrar may have cooled down by now.he can e- mail me & i can convince him.if he agrees i can take him to the PHF offices based at Lahore national hockey stadium & we can work out some arrangement on how to improve.

regards mag

nadeem

12. asrar737

Yeah! I am very much cooled down now!

I hope hockey moguls will wake up! More importantly the former players should come up to save their game. As for myself I have always been an enthusiastic spectators! I know how much organised hockey is in Europe! There are more hockey playing nations in Europe than in Asia.

I loved to see Surbiton HC in Long Dittion. They are good players!

13. asrar737

Asian hockey slump blamed on governments, cricket
    KARACHI (September 25 2006): For Hanif Khan, the mere mention of Pakistan's glorious field hockey past brings tears to his eyes and he is briefly unable to discuss the sport he still loves.

"Don't talk about hockey. I am so disappointed that I play tennis now," says the 49-year-old Khan, a member of Pakistan's last Olympic gold-medal winning team of 1984.

"It's useless to talk about a sport where signs of improvement are like sighting a polar bear in a desert."

Yet Khan still travels around 80 miles a day from his office in the remote town of Hub to the southern city of Karachi to train and finance some 40 up and coming hockey players, in the hope they will rise to represent Pakistan.

Khan was part of Pakistan's golden years which saw them winning three Olympic and four world titles. But the last decade has seen a major slump, not only in Pakistan but throughout South Asia.

"Asia was the dominant force but politics, lack of planning and following European style have led to hockey's downfall, especially in Pakistan and India," said Khan.

The region's continuous slide at the international level continued at the recently concluded World Cup at Monchengladbach, Germany, where none of the Asian teams finished on the podium.

Germany clinched their second successive world title while Olympic champions Australia finished second and European champions Spain secured the bronze medal.

South Korea finished as the best among the Asian nations in fourth position, while Pakistan were sixth, Japan ninth and once-great India slumped to eleventh.

For a nation with the most Olympic hockey titles - winning gold eight times but not since 1980 - players and fans say India's abysmal hockey run is little short of tragic.

"The Indian team's performance in the World Cup is bitter to swallow. Far from fighting to be the best in Asia, the team is now fourth among the continent's challengers, even behind newcomers Japan," wrote former Olympian Pargat Singh in a newspaper column.

He said the authorities must stand up and take the blame.

"While this is a wake-up call for the whole fraternity, there should be somebody up there ready to take the blame for this pathetic fall," he wrote.

Despite calls to step down, India's hockey chief Kunwar Pal Singh Gill has remained adamant that the future is bright and has refused to relinquish his post.

Former Pakistani Olympian Mansoor Ahmed said the governments of sports-mad India and Pakistan need to step in and take combined action to stop the rot.

"Governments should appoint people who know hockey," said Ahmed.

"India has a hockey supremo who doesn't know the sport and as the famous adage goes: a victory has many fathers but a defeat is an orphan. Hockey has lost fans," said Ahmed.

"Both governments should give jobs to hockey players because youth will not take up a sport where they can't earn money. Instead they play cricket where they earn a livelihood," said Ahmed.

Cricket's huge popularity in South Asia has pushed hockey hard. The streets of Mumbai, Kolkata, Karachi and Lahore are full of young people playing with crude makeshift bats and taped-up tennis balls, whereas hockey sticks are nowhere to be seen.

It was not the case once, but a number of factors have pushed hockey into a short corner, including, in Pakistan, the rock star-like fame in the 1980s of cricketers such as Imran Khan and Javed Miandad.

The lack of expensive astroturf pitches has also been a problem.

But not everyone blames cricket for the decline in hockey standards.

"It is a fact that cricket is more popular than hockey, but has cricket stopped hockey from flourishing?" questioned former Pakistan captain and coach Islahuddin Siddiqui.

"Players and hockey authorities are to blame for the slide and if we don't take steps quickly, the game is in serious danger because South Asian hockey needs a lift for the betterment of international hockey," stated Siddiqui.

No Asian country has won a Olympic gold since Pakistan's 1984 triumph at Los Angeles. Pakistan's 1994 win at Sydney, Australia was the last time an Asian team won a world title.

Copyright Agence France-Presse, 2006

14. nadeem

i am not disgusted with Pak hockey to abandon it.our turn will come.i have talked to the new president,mir zafarullah jamali(the former prime minister).hope to meet him personally in 10 days.i m sure glory days will be back

nadeem

15. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Good luck Nadeem, keep the dream alive :)

16. kev24612

kev24612 FHF Regular Player

Just because you have a down side, what reason is it to give up. What happned to stickability. Look at the England football team: they've been on a downer for 40 odd years but every year we say 'we're gonna win this year'. Take some hint: keep tryin no matter how bad things appear to be. you still have the thrill of playing international hockey and being one of the best at it. Sport is about competiton and now you have to compete a bit harder to gain back your reputation

17. nadeem

thanks mates for ur encouragement.mag can this headline be erased.it really irritates me

nadeem

18. asrar737

Please stop dreaming! Without grassroot hockey, you can never prosper on international scene. We have a very low ranked junior hockey team! They even failed to qualify for the Hobart World Cup back in 2001. What you can expect! Hockey is a minority sport in Pakistan now!

It is cricket and cricket everywhere!

19. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

nadeem it can be changed only if asrar737 requests it.

20. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

OK I'm new to this thread but I think Asrar737 has a very valid point. If the grass roots are stuffed then international success is a long way off. So get off your bums and do something about it. Ten years ago I moved to the Wide Bay district in Queensland and we had no (not one) State representative keeper. Now, with a little bit of work, we have three National keepers and so many State representatives I lose count. All this has been achieved in a place where hockey is an ameteur sport, using volenteer coaches, and in Australia hockey is a minority sport. I think that if a few good folks apply themselves anything can happen but if you wait for someone else to do it its going to be a long and boring life. Nadeem, keep up the good work, mate, and fight the good fight. You can only achieve greatness if you try. The only real failure is the failure to make the attempt !!!