Pakistan should abondon international hockey

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by asrar737, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

Grassroot development is the key to sporting success!

If you noticed, most of the Asian countries have a top down approach to their hockey team. Their National Teams come first in priority. The respective Federations' calendar is based on the International Assignments they have in a year and most of the time affecting badly the National Leagues and even the junior level hockey.

It's quite baffling... just because for a pool of 30 National Team players, there's actually nothing to look forward to in the local scene.

And because of this, we see schools losing interest, junior players 'retired' early, sponsors shying away and all is left in the National League is the very 'fortunate' elite few. (sadly there's not much quality in it too)

Good luck to those who wish to improve the grassroot structure. It needs a dedication from a few just for a start.

2. Redscotty

Redscotty FHF Regular Player

You got it animal,

the only way to fix it is to keep going, full steam ahead! The disapointments will come, but they will pass. AS, Nadeem, BE the ones on those dusty streets giving out the second hand sticks, offer an alternative to cricket. NEVER GIVE IN!!!

3. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

Given the present condition of hockey in Pakistan, I predict Pakistan will automatically disappear from the world cup, olympics and champions trophy by the year 2030. They need not to leave international hockey now!

4. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

2030. I'll be dead. but my great grandchildren with still be kickin r's cause that will be the hockey structure I will leave behind!! Quit bellyaching and DO SOMETHING!!!!!

ANIMAL

PS get on to TK and see if they can do a deal on some sticks (thats a little inside info for you)

5. nadeem

nadeem FHF Regular Player

asrar, the hardest thing to break is a closed mind

nadeem

6. asrar737

Hmmm! Great post! Welcome!

7. mani

mani FHF Legend

Sounded a very negative and crap first post!

We are losing - therefore we should quit!

What a losing mentality! Pathetic.

8. RehanButt

RehanButt Guest

Nah, the guy is spot on. Losing isn't the concern... I only realized it in another thread today on this forum. There are much larger issues at stake. Pakistan should really consider quitting this game. Sure we may have the talent bla bla bla, but at the end of the day too much external and internal politics is involved. It has destroyed the spirit of the game and no wonder the people have turned their back on hockey. On a different note, in a country like Pakistan the money would be better spent on the needy. What a waste of resources when we build new hockey stadiums and pay huge sums of salaries to players and the corrupt hockey federation that don’t perform consistently. Besides, the people don't care about hockey anymore. The stadiums are deserted. For goodness sake, people are dying of hunger, therefore priority should lie elsewhere. It’s simply hypocritical to support hockey in Pakistan under such dreadful circumstances. Let's wake up and smell the coffee. My optimism was in vain. The reality is different and asrar has hit the nail on the head. I can relate to his concerns which indeed are genuine... Leave hockey for the privileged...

9. RehanButt

RehanButt Guest

Thanks for your warm welcome. I apologize for my earlier post as you were right. Your skepticism makes sense and it has been an eye opener for me. I would like to extend my deepest gratitude for that. The truth is that I’ve been blind to the ground realities. You've managed to convince me about the sad state of affairs concerning hockey in the subcontinent. Hockey unfortunately has no future in Pakistan. Consider my optimism undone. At this rate the game will eventually die out if it hasn’t already.

PS. I'll sure quit watching hockey matches involving the Pak team from now on. Pak should only participate in any sport as long as it gets its house in order first. Kindly awaiting your response...

10. asrar737

The current failure of Pakistan hockey team vindicates my thread!

11. MK

MK FHF Legend

It would appear that Pakistan have given up mentally - they are there in person - just not mind!

12. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Why would a country with so much hockey talent (and hockey heritage) roll over so easily!??

More interestingly, why would their supporters be singing from the same hymn book??

Try being the country in the world that invents lots of sports, then gets beaten at them by countries whose entire population is smaller than our capital city - THEN, you would have some issues.

I know there are politics and economics in Pakistan that I wouldn't understand, but the point remains the same. Let's not let what happened in the past cloud or influence what's going on now. Greatness in the past is greatness IN THE PAST.
    There is a squad of stunningly talented hockey players who, on their day, can take points off every team in the top four.

The attitude from this first post I fear is the same attitude that has lead to the situation the Pakistani hockey team is in today.

Now, let's strip away the politics and nationality for a second, and say do you truly, as a HOCKEY fan, want to sit back and watch the competitions go on without your country competing?
    Because if you felt like me about hockey, you would take a 10-0 loss in international competition rather than not compete at all.

This is possibly the most depressing thread on the whole forum.

13. MK

MK FHF Legend

Symptomatic of the Asian culture

Step 1 - live on past glory and expect a god given right to success
    Step 2 - realisation that they arent good enough, blame coaches
    Step 3 - change coach, still fail, blame FIH
    Step 4 - blame introduction of astroturf
    Step 5 - blame older players and older coaches
    Step 6 - f*ck up on the international stage
    Step 7 - GIVE UP!!!!

Sickening isnt it - but i say - best off without them, no passion, no self pride, no fight, no personal responsibility, just the continual cycle of blaming other rather than admit that Asian hockey is dead and that the players and coaches are to blame for relying on methods, attitudes and a style of play which last yielded notable success in 70's!

I think they have created their own mess, and the FIH should NOT get involved, they owe India and Pakistan nothing.
    This is a perfect example of how stubborness on a mammoth scale should be treated, natural selection, darwinism - let them learn from their own mistakes.

14. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

Ohh, but MK, don't they play some beautiful hockey when it's going well!??

Wasn't that second goal by India in the game against England one of those goals when you realise why you love this sport so much??

How do I convey to an Indian or Pakistani player/fan how important a game against England is to me? They are what made hockey great to me as a child.
    Now forgive me other nations, while I say what might be deemed quite contentious, but the Germans play hockey which is meticulous, methodical and all about precise engineering - it's dull, but efficient. The Australians play this out and out attacking hockey which just seems like the sports-based nose-thumbing to the rest of the world. It's exciting and has it's moments, but it's not...

...sub-continental hockey.
    Which is the prettiest, most beautiful and inspiring hockey to watch.

What are we saying? Should I just give up and start calling it the 'Australian Dribble' now, because the Indians have disowned it. I don't think so. And I really hope the sub-continent doesn't think so either.

15. MK

MK FHF Legend

...sub-continental hockey.
    Which is the prettiest, most beautiful and inspiring hockey to watch.

I think the sub-conscious link between success and those 3 qualities were what made it amazing.
    It inspired because it brought success, success brought the beauty!

Asian hockey involved artistry and skill, and those sorts of players will be revered in any sport, and yes i love those players, Carlos Spencer, Michael Jordan, Andrew Johns - those individuals with the ability to do something different with great success.

Now, lets flip the coin, Asian hockey do those brillaint skills, but with no end result, and unfortunately wouldnt know what hard work was if it smacked them about a boxing ring for 10 mins! The beauty of those 'different' players was that they had these skills on top of the the game plan which was like everyone else.

16. RussellButt

FHF Moderator

Delving (slightly) off topic.
    I think it's great that the two of us seem to be singing from the same hymn book.

I like the NZ rugby analogies, although I am not entirely sure Carlos Spencer ever achieved the great success he deserved.
    No doubt he is one of the most truly talented rugby players of recent years, but the Kiwis look at the rugby World Cup the same way we do football, and his no-look pass intercepted by Stirling Mortlock back in 2004 I am sure still stings for lots of Kiwis.
    (I bumped into him in the New World Metro (NZ Tesco Express) in Wellington, shopping with Byron Kelleher and Chris Jack - That's like seeing Ashley Cole in Greggs in the UK)

By this rationale, are we saying that Pakistani hockey just needs a new 'superstar' to inspire hope??

17. asrar737

No matter what you guys say, there will be no hockey in Pakistan after 25 years!

18. MK

MK FHF Legend

I am prepared to put a long term bet on this (dead serious!).
    I think there will be hockey in Pakistan in 25 year.

How about £5000 right now!

19. ausdrexler

ausdrexler FHF Regular Player

Its never too late. Get a high profile coach to take a squad of 30 talented 11 to 13 yr olds. Train them as a group all the time. give them a good schooling in life, education and hockey. before you know it, they are 18 and playing in the U21 WC, then next thing you know bang Pakistans senior team is once again back as a force.

Now heres the tricky bit, after each year, you need to do it again, and then again the enxt year. It means a group of coaches with real quality to do the hard yards when the players are kids.

The team 10 years from now are currently 11 to 13 years of age, its time to go back to the bottom and build up.

20. asrar737

When nobody would be playing the game how you would make a team? At the moment total real hockey players in Pakistan is around 2000. And with this current disaster no kids would like to take the sport in future.