Pitch division

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by UmpireHockey.com, Nov 17, 2016.

1. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Curious to learn how partners are dividing the pitch. The last time I was coached on this I was told that, basically, divide at the center-line (Umpire A has this half of the pitch, Umpire B has the other one). This as opposed to the diagonal division on the outdoor pitch.

Thanks...Cris

2. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Just got home from this afternoon's regional schools indoor. My recollection is still a roughly diagonal divide, but with condiserably more overlap than outdoor - the umpire with the clear view might take decisions quite close to the umpire whose view is obscured.

redumpire and UmpireHockey.com like this.
  3. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

At a minimum, I want my partner to take her/his sideboard area all the way down. If radios are in use, then I also really want help on the far side of my circle or any time a goalie is on the ground and I can't see the ball. Otherwise, normal cooperation just as in outdoor. We are closer together but there are more players per square meter to block our view, so at times we have to cooperate far more than in outdoor.

jayjay, Mick Mason and redumpire like this.
  4. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Last indoor briefing I was at, (Under 15 Club championships) the umpire manager was telling people that it was roughly diagonal but he expected whoever had an unobstructed view to make any calls they could to assist the other umpire

redumpire likes this.
  5. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

As a default and when I coach our club umpires I still tend to advocate this diagram. Keeping the traditional areas of responsibility of the sideline, baseline and D. For the boxed central area applying the traditional view of whoever play is approaching takes first bite still works pretty well and if no radios its nice and clear. I think it gives better coverage than just a 50/50 split across the half ay line or straight up the middle

With radios and when I umpire I'm trying to incorporate more 'who has the ball' discussion with my colleague. This is more about extending the field of view between the two umpires so if I take the ball down my sideline, my colleague can watch my D, for example and not worry so much about the ball.
    It requires practice and trust and I've got a way to go. Its an interesting concept which definitely allows you to pick up stuff that was previously missed due to the natural focus on following the ball.
    I still use roughly this setup though as a base.

upload_2016-11-18_10-51-57.png

6. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

Yeah indoor is a lot more fluid. The colleagues I have worked much better with have gone in with the mindset that we roughly split the pitch diagonally, with the middle of the pitch being an area that the umpire it's coming towards has the chance to play advantage, but also with the understanding that due to proximity both umpires have a good chance to see, and also sell anything that happens. Following on from that, it's agreed that for very obvious fouls in the circle on the 'less engaged' umpires side that would result in a FHD, that umpire would just blow as it's cleaner and quicker.

7. careeman

careeman FHF Super Star

Sorry, replied without checking the forum :oops:.

Didn't spot it was indoor related but did think it odd you asking the OP @UmpireHockey.com

I don't do 'shed hockey' so its over and out from me as I beat an embarrassed retreat to the cold surrounds of my outdoor pitch.

Paul Watts and AJF like this.
  8. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I was just about to email you to ask when you were starting!!:cool:

Paul Watts, careeman and AJF like this.
  9. UmpireHockey.com

Nice diagram @careeman. I came up with this last night...

Indoor Field Division Diagnal 1.png

I think it demonstrates the additional fluidity of the indoor game.

Curious about radios indoors, I haven't yet used them indoors. Given the proximity of EVERYTHING (every sound), have any of you who have used them found any difficulty? Are they as beneficial as they are outdoors?

careeman likes this.
  10. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

General good idea, definitely should place the emphasis that it is so much more fluid than that though!

I also have a slight issue with the dimensions, the circles are usually (proportionally to the court) bigger than that. Hence why I've advocated having a "common area" as you've put it which slight overlaps the circle even.

As for radios, I don't see them being used much. I think you'd need a really high quality set, otherwise they'd be pretty useless with all of the extraneous noise.

11. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I agree with @AJF in that the common areas actually overlap much more than that. If you watch the very top umpires they blow almost (almost!) anywhere on the pitch if they're very clear that their colleague has missed something important. You could do worse than to watch this video of the last indoor World Cup final and see how Lee & Pavel work the pitch between them

With regard to radios, they're used at most English indoor events. @CardHappy may be able to shed some light on how useful - or otherwise - they are. I retired before they were in widespread use!

12. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Worth a discussion for outdoor if the mods move your post?

13. UmpireHockey.com

The base diagram is from the FIH book sans the measurements. I added the shading, etc. That said, I don't think I've ever umpired on one that is actually wide. I'd never show an overlap into the circle. We've got too many umpires who thing calling in the circle to their left is ordinary.

14. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

I understand where you're coming from, the point I'm trying to make is that if the team is working well together, then you can have much more overlap.

15. UmpireHockey.com

Okay. Expressed with more fluidity...

Indoor Field Division Diagnal 1.png

16. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Still not really there. I was umpiring indoor again earlier - yes, 2 afternoons running - and I'd roughly double your gold area, to a foot or two inside the circle.

Radios are indeed useful indoors, even though we're almost close enough to call across the pitch. For example:
    - (having played advantage) #4 for green, right? Yep, I'll card. Ok.
    - what was that (meaning: the body lanuage says something happened, but what?)? Penalty corner/free hit/nothing there.
    - spot on, good call
    - missing goal, so PC not PS
    - noooooo, not a PC, just a FH for mask outside the circle
    This last one I've found myself saying 3 or 4 times in the last week, indoor and outdoor; umpires do seem to get over-excited when they spot mask offences. This afternoon my colleague stuck with the PC - because the ball was inside the circle, and it was an offence because the 'offender' was reaching into the circle with both feet outside, while still wearing the mask. Some might disagree, but he was my colleague so I couldn't possibly comment.

#16 Diligent, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  17. UmpireHockey.com

It might be a good idea to extend...perhaps in a different color/shade...and put inside that color something like, "Umpiring teams reach agreement on calls in this area during pregame." But, there's no way I can go into the circle.

upload_2016-11-18_17-45-38.png

#17 UmpireHockey.com, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  18. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Applaud the effort @UmpireHockey.com but in truth indoors is too fluid for such definite lines.

Even in the circle: once l have the measure of the teams I'm pretty confident of umpiring my circle, but if the voice in my earpiece is saying "PC" or "Free out", I'll blow the PC or FHD, and trust I'll hear a reason to pass on to players, benches and spectators through signal and body language. So yes in practice the shading does enter the circle.

19. UmpireHockey.com

Thanks. And, I understand what you're saying but, no way am I putting circle coverage by the disengaged umpire in a diagram. If I had a way to feather lines I would but...I'm not THAT capable (neither is the software I'm using). I think this is probably a good starting point. A willingness to take requested help in the ear from a partner can be sorted out in a good pregame.

20. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

As I've mentioned before radios are used more to discuss the management of the game rather than for individual decisions.

My pre match chat with my colleagues starts with "The important thing is for us to get the decisions right. So, if I miss something just blow it!" There is no place for ego and actually most games you come off thinking thanks mate for getting me out of that sticky situation and your colleague is thinking the same!

Indoor is a fast paced sport that comes alive in the last 5 mins. Everything up to that point is just foreplay and with good communication, hopefully, we have got to that point and the players know where the boundaries are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Watts and AJF like this.