Pitch markings

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Ravennghorde, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Stikklebrik

Stikklebrik FHF Regular Player

Much as I would love to be sympathetic to their plight......I still have about a 3 hour trek to play against them with our club..... :S

K•A•R•M likes this.
  2. Stikklebrik

If any of you play in the West Conference national league then previously you may have come across the non lines at Balcarras.........you couldn't see the D when stood on it and the school regularly refreshed the paint......almost weekly at one point I'm lead to believe.

3. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

one of the British schools in Dubai laid a hockey pitch last year. unfortunately the turf company decided to lay the strips of turf end to end rather than across the pitch. Not the best

4. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

For me, wobby lines aren't as much a problem as those pitches which are multi-use, I recently played on one where there were two "circles" (amongst all the tennis lines etc) one was for another sport and yellow and a couple of metres inside was our white penalty circle, but extremely faded and absent in some parts. Wouldn't have surprised anyone if the umpires had decided to use the larger yellow circle instead!
    But I often wonder how poort the pitch markings have to get before umpires and skips decide it's unplayable. Probably at my level we'd somehow play even if the lines were invisible but at higher levels where points and league placings are important? Have any regular umpires here called games off due to the lack of marking - or maybe played a friendly instead of a league game?
    Probably very, very few; I would imagine poor floodlighting (ie where groups of bulbs are out) has more games called off?

5. K•A•R•M

K•A•R•M FHF Newbie

Would be more use if they did have to trek, gives a whole new meaning to the term 'home advantage'. A 3 hour drive from Bristol to play on a pitch where the ball doesn't move... no thanks.
    Although the pitch has been approved by the FIH so is allowed to be used for their BUCS games.

6. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

If a goal-line is dead straight in international hockey, someone could be kind enough to explain how the ball crossed it when it hit both posts and came out....

;)

If that went behind the line and bock out again, I think the physics books would have to be re-written!

7. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

A ball on the ground will often curve/spin, but yes, I can't see how that one could possibly have completely crossed the line at any point.

8. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

It's just possible the post is deep enough that the ball was entirely over the line when it hit the 2nd post, and the spin on it meant it rebounded back into the field.

But I'd say that's clearly not a goal, and assume the review came back with 'I can't see enough to overturn it' rather than 'yeah that was definitely over the line', because whoever was doing the review neglected to use physics-based common sense.

9. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

I can only see it bouncing back into the field of play like that if it hit the front corner of the post (on both sides), in which case it certainly isn't wholly over the line.

10. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Nope. The VU says, "Ali, it is a goal and Australia lose their referral."

11. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

That is baffling. It's weird to see the VU get something blatantly wrong like that. Consider me outraged on my country's team's behalf. 3 years late, but outraged nonetheless. :mad:

:p

12. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

Need goal line tech really, basic physics says the ball can't have crossed the line and hit the post at the angle to deflect it across, nor that it could bend through the air and cross the line and come back out in the 3m or so of goal width. Can see why they gave it though, too difficult to determine if the on pitch umpire got it wrong with purely those replays rather than doing the maths.

Goal posts have to be 5cm-7.5cm deep to be legal, ball is minimum 7.13cm diameter so for the whole of the ball to cross the whole of the line it would have to essentially hit the last .5cm (i.e. the corner) of the post in which case it would go into the goal, not across. Only way it could go across when hitting the post would be square on, meaning it didn't fully cross the line.

Australia should have picked the ball up and shown it wasn't possible for it to be over the line

13. CrazyDoesntFeelPain

CrazyDoesntFeelPain FHF Reserve Player

This is our home pitch (10 minutes from the clubhouse). Towards the end of 2016 it got so muddy it was forced to close after a pupil at the school slipped and broke their wrist. The initial forecast was that the resurfacing job would be done in time for summer friendlies to take place. It eventually opened in late September '17. The lines started rubbing off immediately and 8 weeks later it has had to be abandoned again. It's also worth mentioning that one week during that period games were cancelled because of rain (on a freshly relaid all weather pitch). It's somewhere between frustrating and funny at just how badly this work has been carried out. When former players heard the pitch was being relaid they said "Give me a call when it's done and I'll think about coming back to play for you". We haven't bothered getting in touch. I'm a bit ashamed of this pitch.

14. Badger666

Badger666 FHF Top Player

From my Uni days, Aberyswyth uni pitch had wobbly sidelines and both D's were like beaches.

Hampstead and Westminster's 'sand' pitch gets worse and worse by the year though. Played on it earlier this year and one P spot is literally just a hole now, not to mention all the other divots, mismatching turf and general slowness of the pitch.

15. Stikklebrik

remember that uni pitch too.......and having to trek bloody hours to come and play you on it!!

16. Badger666

Badger666 FHF Top Player

Oh i had to as well. I was in Glamgoran so it was a 3 hour weaving journey through the mountains. The trip back was the worse trying to down a bottle of preseco.

17. Pippinn

Pippinn FHF Regular Player

I've abandoned a game for rain before, there was so much of it the pitch couldn't drain quickly enough, once it stopped the following game was able to take place 15 minutes late

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Ravennghorde likes this.
  18. CrazyDoesntFeelPain

CrazyDoesntFeelPain FHF Reserve Player

We're talking "too much rain" the day before...