Post Match 3 Cheers

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Johnny Heath, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Johnny Heath

Johnny Heath FHF Starter

I have played few games this season and called out 3 cheers upon the final whistle. Anyone know what the correct etiquette is?

Last Saturday we lost and I shouted 3 cheers as per above. Although the opposition were slow to do the same.

2. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

Think it's more a traditional thing that probably dying out now , most teams seem happy as long as hands are shaken etc

3. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

I'm normally too busy sulking!

scmods likes this.
  4. TimmyNeutron

TimmyNeutron FHF Newbie

Not sure if I understood it right, but I just assume you mean the pre and after game rituals on the pitch.
    In Germany it's common you meet up in the middle with the referees and every team has their own pre game saying to greet the opponent.
    Same in the end, it's a mandatory meeting with the referees where they announce the final score and ask for any injuries noted down, then comes the after game saying from the teams and the handshakes. The sayings of course are voluntary the rest is mandatory.

Cheers Tim

5. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    Can't say my anecdotal evidence concurs with this [see my emphasis]. We'll do it after every game, expect and receive it in return too. Everyone we play seems to adhere to it. It's often done whilst shaking hands with (and offering gentle ribbing to) the opposition as well.

6. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

It's pretty hit and miss in our league , some do , some don't .....

7. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    This is not something I want to see die out. It's not quite rugby players forming a tunnel and clapping the oppo off (which happens even at the top of the professional game) but it is sporting. Long may it continue.
    Let's all be a bit more Corinthian in our attitudes to sport.

Ravennghorde and nemo like this.
  8. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

Definitely still a thing in juniors here, but I don't think it happens in my games (over 40's). We still have the three cheers before the toss, but after the game it's more just handshakes, chats and reaching for the oxygen.

9. bigdave1981

bigdave1981 FHF Top Player

have always done this Win, lose or draw... even if I have had "words" with the forwards lol.

10. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Depending on the opposition and the way the game has gone, it may be that it slips the mind of a captain or that a captain is indisposed as the game finishes and isn't in a position to offer a salute to the other team. I have found myself sufficiently discombobulated at the end of a game that I have neglected to call for 3 cheers, it is always put right as soon as I realise my omission. It has never been with mal-intent, it could have been that I got into a chat with someone, or I had to pick up lots of kit etc. it can be very innocent.
    There is also the fact that some people are just not that sporting and don't value such things. That's just the world. It takes all sorts...

My advice is and would always be to do sporting things irrespective of whether or not they are expected, wanted or reciprocated.
    If I were in a foreign situation whereby it was not a known thing, I would still expect my players to give 3 cheers to the opposition at the end of a game. If nothing else it demonstrates how different cultures can be nice to each other despite differences.