Query re: PS in EHL (EGA v GER)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by adam00, Oct 9, 2017.

1. adam00

adam00 FHF Newbie

Saint German scored a late PS yesterday to win in their game against Egara yesterday. Link to video on twitter here:

The Egara GK appears to make a T signal, seeking a video referral after the penalty stroke. Is that right? And if so, any ideas what the GK was appealing about? The stroke looked fairly standard to me.

2. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Could it have been to stop time and get him substituted and a kicking back put in? Common thing to do with a minute left and a goal required and something I look for as an umpire to help things along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yes.
    No, unless it's what @CardHappy suggested in his simultaneous post.
    Yep. And, what's more, there was no video umpire in Barcelona, so goodness only know what the GK was thinking!

4. Pippinn

Pippinn FHF Starter

Perhaps it was something out of camera shot? Or signalling to the bench

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

5. scmods

scmods FHF Starter

Might have been appealing for the old rule of the striker taking too many steps.

6. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

The more I see it the more I am sure it’s a stop time signal towards the umpire who has run away, so the keeper can be exchanged for a kicking back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastForward24 likes this.
  7. scmods

scmods FHF Starter

The tweet with the video gives the final score as 4-6 as well as taking the lead with a minute to go, so maybe the keeper did come off and they scored another one.

I don't know why teams persist with that tactic, it never comes off.

8. redumpire

FHF Moderator

In the EHL this year they're playing 2 goals for a field goal or PS goal (unless it's a PS awarded after a PC) and 1 goal for a PC goal. So the PS counted as 2 goals in this case.

9. redumpire

FHF Moderator

10. Bondy

Bondy FHF Legend

I've seen it come off a number of times as an umpire, and once while I was playing. Of course it's a high-risk approach - but if you need to win to go to the next round, a draw's no use - so why not risk a loss in the hope of getting a win.

AJF likes this.
  11. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

One group of teams (and a couple of their coaches in particular) are known for using this tactic.
    Last year one of the teams were down 4-0 at halftime in the last pool match, to the eventual tournament winners. They needed a win to reach quarterfinals. The leading team scored again almost right after halftime. So the losing team pulled the goalkeeper.
    The final score was 5-5. They held off a late PC and were close to making 6-5 the biggest upset in the country.

It works just like every tactic: brilliantly with practise and experience, a disaster without.

12. scmods

scmods FHF Starter

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that dumb rule.

13. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

As others have said, if you've drilled for that scenario and can take advantage of the 11 outfielders, whether KB or 11 field players, then it can work but for low level teams without practice, opposition just need a high striker and hit and hope from the defence and inevitably it won't work as they'd concede too easily. That said, a top team with good aerial ability should also be able to take advantage of the "route one" tactic if they don't bring all 11 back to defend and have a mobile attacker who can avoid the defence getting the ball from receiving aerials

Also as above, losing 5-4 in a cup, 6-4, 7-4, 100-4 doesn't make any difference, while 5-5 can make the difference.

14. Simon_GK_Mason

Simon_GK_Mason FHF Legend

It was a signal to stop time to allow for the substitution of GK for kicking back. Egara needed a field goal or PS from a field play. GK wanted to get off the pitch.

FastForward24 likes this.
  15. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Sssh! Don't tell @CardHappy he was right... ;)

16. Crampo

Crampo FHF Starter

I don't think it was even necessary, since presumably time hadn't been restarted yet after the PS?

17. Gilly

Gilly FHF Legend

Crickey! Don't overdo it. Even @Mrs @CardHappy has still got that card in the back pocket.

SPetitt and Simon_GK_Mason like this.