Retailers - The Reviews

Discussion in 'Other Gear Questions & Reviews' started by Zak, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Zak

Zak FHF Regular Player

If someone can make this a sticky, as more reviews are added by people I'll update the first post to list them together. (if possible!)

While I'm writing some up, please feel free to add your own.

UK Retailers

Hockey Factory Shop UK

http://www.fieldhockeyforum.com/threads/legal-notice-by-the-hockey-factory-shop-ltd.16333/

The Hockey Warehouse UK - Ok, the facts.

Plus points: This place has a huge range of kit available, if you can't see it then ask because it's probably hidden upstairs out of the way. Sue, one of the directors, has a good knowledge of the products and if they don't have it in stock then she'll do her best to get it in that week.
    Negatives: It's pricey compared to the online retailers, but they have bigger overheads so it's to be expected. Keepers kit is now hidden away to stop people trying it on and then buying from elsewhere. Can get busy on a Saturday.
    Bottom line: If you need to try your kit then it is well worth paying that bit extra and popping in. Excellent service.

Gilmour Sports UK - By Craggsy
    Good range of kit, stock most brands including Brabo, but no maliks (most likely todo with Barringtons being the Uk distributer). Website is easy to use, and no account is required. This is good and bad, good in the sense if you want to order simply stick your details in and its done, bad in the sense that you have to enter them every time your order and you cant log in to the site to see past orders etc.

I ordered a new stick on Tuesday I came today Wednesday, can't really beat that. They do free shipping on orders over £100 as well, much like the other online retailers. Price wise they are all pretty standard, with everyone else.

Bottom line - Competative prices, free delivery over £100 fast courier service

Barrington Sports UK - By Craggsy
    These guys have a very fancy website and win on that front, they also have a wide range of fitness clothing and trainers that other websites dont always stock. Prices are same as everywhere else, and free postage over £100. With Barringtons you have an account that you can login to and see past orders and order status. This was very useful for me as I ordered some shoes they were the wrong size and I could conduct everything through the contact portion of their website. Brand wise they stock a lot of the big brands, though smaller brands like Brabo, tempest etc aren't available

Delivery is next day through a choice of couriers which can be useful if you prefer a certain one, though the cost is the same, they do not ship overseas however !

Bottom line - Good prices, quite a wide range of hockey and other sporting goods. Very good website with a member login area for repeated use, however they do not ship internationally outside of the UK/Ireland

Overall they are both pretty good, which one I order from depends on what I'm ordering and who has what I want in stock/size. - Craggsy

2. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Stickied, I'll add something when I get the chance.

If people want to post a review, I'll add them to the first post, to save people trawling through the thread.

3. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

4. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Gilmour Sports
    Good range of kit, stock most brands including Brabo, but no maliks (most likely todo with Barringtons being the Uk distributer). Website is easy to use, and no account is required. This is good and bad, good in the sense if you want to order simply stick your details in and its done, bad in the sense that you have to enter them every time your order and you cant log in to the site to see past orders etc.

I ordered a new stick on Tuesday I came today Wednesday, can't really beat that. They do free shipping on orders over £100 as well, much like the other online retailers. Price wise they are all pretty standard, with everyone else.

Bottom line - Competative prices, free delivery over £100 fast courier service

Barrington Sports
    These guys have a very fancy website and win on that front, they also have a wide range of fitness clothing and trainers that other websites dont always stock. Prices are same as everywhere else, and free postage over £100. With Barringtons you have an account that you can login to and see past orders and order status. This was very useful for me as I ordered some shoes they were the wrong size and I could conduct everything through the contact portion of their website.

Delivery is next day through a choice of couriers which can be useful if you prefer a certain one, though the cost is the same. Brand wise they stock a lot of the big brands, though smaller brands like Brabo, tempest etc aren't available.

Bottom line
    - Good prices, quite a wide range of hockey and other sporting goods. Very good website with a member login area for repeated use.

Overall they are both pretty good, which one I order from depends on what I'm ordering and who has what I want in stock/size.

5. Moody_Git

Moody_Git FHF Regular Player

Sorry at this point in time Barrington Sports are unable to ship to international destinations.

0/10 from over 'ere.

6. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Good spot Moody, when I have some time (probs friday), I'll rejig this so we have sections like range of stock, delivery etc so people can add reviews that allow people to easily compare retailers !

7. paulo1983

paulo1983 FHF Newbie

Well when i go shopping as we all we should stop being tight arses

I expect this from a retail shop a hitting area asking what size sticks for them to pull out so i can have a smack in the hitting area.

Then i have a browse and pay them and are very helpful in many ways he even tightened up my stance for me because i havent played in ages.

So for me its Hockey International Western Australia Perth.!!!

If we continue onj this tight arse trend soon there will be no hockey shops left in our city trust me !

8. James Barrows

James Barrows FHF Newbie

Purchased a new stick from All Rounder Hockey in Leeds last week. Their prices seem very competitive and the postage is next to nothing or free.

9. nickybee

nickybee FHF Top Player

I nipped into Morrant when I had the chance in London a few weeks ago. When I called, they knew exactly which sticks they had in stock when I asked if they had the one I was looking for, but also helped me greatly with tube stations and where to go to find them afterwards :).

I am also happy to recommend Gilmour (elbows I think, & recently shorts which I've just returned) and Barrington's (HPs) from personal experience.

10. Pablicio

Pablicio FHF Newbie

Hey guys,

Which one of these would you recommend for an international buyer, more specifically USA?

11. Patrick121916

Patrick121916 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Alien AX5 (in review section)
    Hockey gear is really cheap. (Netherlands)

12. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Sorry guys, not sure why I had not seen this thread before but first post edited. Please do not mention HFS on this site as they do not like it.

13. Patrick121916

Stick/s:
  14. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

lol - Take a look at the OP then figure it out :)
    I don't want to give them any more reason to hate us by spelling it out.

Patrick121916 likes this.
  15. Penningtorr

Penningtorr FHF Newbie

Just a thought, for people in the UK, isn't it potentially a lot cheaper to source hockey goods from mainland Europe?

For instance, the 2015/16 Pro Tour Osaka's are on hockeygear.eu for about €250, so that's approximately £180. There is also no addition charges to be had for goods delivered from Europe into the UK, in contrast with imports from the US for example.

I doubt that any UK retailer will initially sell these sticks new for less than £240. Maybe it is time to buy from the continent instead.

16. Patrick121916

Stick/s:
    Hockey gear is just very cheap.

Hockeygear likes this.
  17. Penningtorr

Penningtorr FHF Newbie

I think I might just be ordering from the Netherlands then!

Hockeygear likes this.
  18. Torsten

Torsten FHF Newbie

Not impressed that "Direct Sports Limited' (http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk) are refusing to refund a product that they have accepted is faulty within 6 month of purchase.

19. Planet Hockey

Planet Hockey FHF Top Player

Barringtons do ship overseas as I have ordered and received things from them that I ordered online.

20. Washy

Washy FHF Newbie

I always use Barrington Sports (Knutsford) as within an hour for me. Their website is very detailed and informative and they carry a wide range of stock (not only in hockey). The store itself has been re-developed and extended (think they switched units from memory) over recent years and carries an excellent range of stock with ample opportunity to try that out. I have always found service there friendly and reliable, whilst their prices tend to be very competitive, especially if you land on one of their offers. Ordered products from there online too with no problems, always delivered on time and as ordered. Overall would speak very highly and definitely recommend.