So who is the Daily Telegraph's secret umpire...?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions & General Chat' started by redumpire, Nov 14, 2013.

1. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

2. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

Not much of an article. Seems like a waste of ink in a national newspaper.

3. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

it's an article about hockey in a national newspaper - a rarity in itself - which might just get read by those interested in sports but not particularly in hockey. it makes some points which may be obvious to many of those on this site, but could be new news to others. it's an interesting approach to garner some coverage for our game. let's see where they take it.

4. MikesDad

MikesDad FHF Top Player

I agree with peterwins, it is good to see hockey featured in a national newspaper. I also saw that the other day they had a roundup of the weekends action in both the Mens and Womens Premier Divisions.

Looking ahead to the high profile events that England Hockey have been awarded over the next few years, it can only help to increase interest in hockey in the UK.

Surely it is better to have a national newspaper writing about hockey than not writing about it?

5. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

3pm is the graveyard slot? That'd be great.

Article itself just looks like an intro for a new feature, and applies equally to every sport. Big paper having a dedicated hockey section certainly looks like a good thing though.

6. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

I don't see what's good about an article which starts off by describing a pretty unappealing scene, goes on to report on one of the worst aspects of our sport, which could have been written about pretty much any sport, and finishes by telling the reader that nobody stays behind after the match for more than an hour. Where is the excitement? Where is the description of the skill which our outfield players possess? Nowhere. All that's conveyed to the reader is the old umpires line about how if they made as many mistakes as the players did... blah blah blah.
    I'm not saying that hockey being in a major national newspaper is bad, but why waste a column with this? The author should be ashamed of him or herself.
    OK maybe next month's article will be different, but by then we'll be half way through the season. A bit late to start getting people interested.

7. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

The article reflects a problem and that is clubs in general are not developing umpires.

Umpires are like goalies, every team needs one. Either a club umpire for lower levels or a pool umpire for the better teams.

I'm a hockey dad umpiring for a ladies club and my experience doesn't go back that far. However I have noticed that over the last few years an increasing number of clubs ask us to provide 2 umpires for home games and they'll reciprocate. Why, because their umpire has a match to play and can't travel. The answer is no, find an umpire. 5 years ago I didn't come across this now the majority of clubs seem to work this way.

What happens to retired players? Why aren't they trained up as umpires and kept involved in the game?

Player/umpires shouldn't be the backbone of a clubs umpires.

8. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Ravennghorde as a hockey dad, what got you started as an umpire, why do you still do it and what might make you stop? do you only umpire your daughter's team? does umpiring her team ever lead to any problems-either with the opponents or with your daughter:) ?

9. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

I was a non player and started because the club played very few junior matches and when I asked why i was told lack of umpires. You either complain or do something so I did my level 1.

My daughter became a senior team captain at 16 and I got sucked into team management. I never had problems umpiring my daughter. She left the club but I was hooked on the game. A year later I dropped to start a new team as umpire/manager in the bottom division mainly because I didn't enjoy umpiring at the higher level. I found it difficult to umpire my team which was winning with double figures because I didn't feel I could be fair to both teams. In particular I had ex 1sts who loved to create 'manufactured' fouls which I felt wasn't fair on their opponents. I enjoyed umpiring at the lower level however. I was back where I started umpiring a few years earlier which is how I noticed the change to many more player/umpires.

When my original team were promoted into the local prem division I was the only umpire available to go into the pool for appointments. The older ladies who umpire for the club did not want to travel 100 miles on match day on their own. Having had good umpiring support from the start as an appointed umpire I now really enjoy Saturdays and feel confident in myself which I never really did as a club umpire. Last week I did my appointment then did my first men's game as a club umpire for a nearby club.

Why would I stop? Now I'm getting on top of dissent with a willingness to card early it's fun.

keely likes this.
  10. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

good for you. glad that jumping in to umpiring to help your daughter get games resulted in you finding a hobby you continue to enjoy. it's a great story of how clubs have an opportunity (often missed) to wrap in other family members when a junior joins their program. it was lucky that you were so proactive. keep having fun.

11. MikeyBobs

MikeyBobs FHF Top Player

Read the article earlier today .... two contrasting thoughts:

1) Absolutely brilliant that a mainstream daily paper is prepared to give space (webspace? - does this appear in the printed version? I don't read the Daily Torygraph) to a discussion (however limited) to the problems of club umpires .....

2) BUT ..... once you get beyond the world of worrying about players reactions (and understand you have some lumps of plastic in your pocket to get the message across), really umpiring becomes a delight and to some twisted souls (me!) more fun and challenging than playing hockey ever was. "Secret umpire" does not mention what motivates umpires - just concentrates on negatives. Really there are so many positives - if this really is a "series", that would be good as the subject of the next article.

ALSO .... this is about club umpires, but the dear old DT has photos of two members of NPUA - wouldn't it have been more appropriate to get two club umpires in action? Guess the NPUA is a bit sexier for the photos!! :)

12. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Mrs CardHappy will be pleased with that.

13. Bulsara

Bulsara FHF Regular Player

Your partner looks like Paul Walker not sure she would be happy with statement!!!

14. AlanD

AlanD FHF Star Player

A link to this article was also posted on my clubs Facebook page. After a numerous postings about the ability of umpires, I added my 2p worth. Something along the lines that umpires have been known to gather together after a match and wonder why we bothered given the lack of skill, and appreciation, shown by the players. Seemed to stun the members of the club, since it never occurred to them that umpires umpired for their own (i.e. the umpires) enjoyment! I got the impression that this was a new thought to them!

15. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Could have been worse ;-)

16. ARB

ARB FHF Top Player

It looks like a partnership between England Hockey and The Daily Telegraph to me, or at least this is how it is advertised in the latest EH newsletters. It's a start, but I'd rather something a bit more, well, edgy.

17. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

I can tell you that EHB have no input at all to the "secret umpire" column. They are obviously working closely with The Telegraph hockey section in general as you would expect from a NGB.

18. ARB

ARB FHF Top Player

Fair enough. The advertising space, the twitter feed, the facebook widget, and the cross promotion all suggest quite well organised collaboration. Nice to know that TSU is maintaining his/her impartiality on and off the column :)

19. Harry P

Harry P FHF Newbie

We will work it out when someone we know does something in a game that outlines what game it was from there it should be simple we just have to be patient.

20. keely

keely FHF Legend

Pshaw. Umpires are notorious gossips; it shouldn't take long for word to escape into the wild. ;)

jayjay likes this.