Sohail is the king of drag-flick, says Taekema

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by abbas, Mar 3, 2010.

1. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Tue, Mar 2 02:50 PM
    He is one of the most lethal drag-flickers the world has ever seen, but for Taeke Taekema Pakistan's Sohail Abbas is the "king of penalty corners" just by the sheer magnitude of his conversion rate.

Sohail's has more than 300 international goals to his name and Taekema feels the veteran Pakistani drag-flicker is the most prolific scorer the world has witnessed. He also lavished praise on Indian's Sandeep Singh, who according to him has made remarkable improvement in his drag-flicking skills.

"Sohail Abbas is the king of penalty corner because of his goal scoring record. He scored the most goals from penalty corners, so definitely he is the best in the world," Taekema said.

"But Sandeep is very talented and has improved his skills. Both the players played in the Dutch league, so I have seen them a lot," he said. Taekema yesterday registered the first hat-trick of the on-going World Cup by converting three penalty corners in their 3-0 win over Argentina at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium here.

With this hat-trick, Taekema is just one goal away from equalling legendary country-mate Floris Jan Bovelander's 17 World Cup goals record, but the 30-year-old drag-flicker said what matters to him is team's performance and not individual goals.

"I don't have any personal goal for the World Cup. If I were after individual goals, I would have played a game like tennis, not hockey. My job is to convert penalty corners and I always try to do my best," said Taekema, who was the highest scorer of the 2006 edition of the quadrennial event in Monchengladbach with 11 goals.

"Penalty corners are small part of the game besides that I am a defender also. I have to do well in the defence also." Asked about the recipe behind his success, Taekema said there is no alternative to practice.

"It's just practice, years of practice. That's the main thing. If you keep on practising one thing day in and day out for the last 15-16 years, you are bound to master it. You also need to fine-tune your skill and then getting the right rhythm is also very important," he said.

"If the push and trap is spot on, it makes my job easier."

Taekema is only the third player after Australia captain Jamie Dwyer and German player Christopher Zeller to have got a hockey stick produced in his name by sportsapparel maker Adidas.

Taekema struck record 16 goals, including a double hat-trick against Belgium in the semi-final of the 2007 European Championships in Manchester. And in celebration of his record breaking feat, Adidas introduced its limited edition TT10 hockey stick, which has Taekema's initials and jersey number incorporated in it.

"It's just that I work together with Adidas to create the sticks and they put my initials and jersey number in it," said the modest Dutch player, who won the Champions Trophy four times with his national team.

He feels the Dutch will have to come out with an improved showing in their remaining matches if they desire to pocket their fourth World title.

"We played a very hard game against Argentina in the first match. The goalkeeper (Guus Vogels) played terrific. He saved us on quite a few occasions. So we need to perform much better in the next matches," he said.

"We definitely have to perform better to have a chance in the tournament," added Taekema, who was member of the Athens Olympics silver medal winning Dutch side.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/48/20100302/1252/tsp-sohail-abbas-is-the-king-of-penalty.html

I like the humility of Taekema which is a king of dragflick himself. Taekema is definetly a legend in the making who will most likely overtake Abbas one day.

2. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

Undoubtedly he is! But the foolish PHF stole his 2-3 years of international hockey on the pretext of introducing younger players. But Pakistan did not win a single tournament during his absece. Had he been retained he would scored 350 goals by now. Alas!

3. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Some grave blunders have been made by the PHF over the years. We all know that unfortunately politics is mixed with sports in Pakistan. The former chief had certain disputes with Abbas and made him the scapegoat. Another problem has been that people with no know-how or experience have been given top spots in the hockey federation. One cannot have any expectations in such an environment.

4. asrar737

And he is among only few Pakistanies whose names appear on Guniess Book of World Record!

5. geriverstik50

geriverstik50 FHF Regular Player

Abbas..Taekama .....they are both EXCELLENT practitioners

6. ---ERIC---

---ERIC--- FHF Regular Player

Taekema is the best. end of story.

7. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Taeke Taekema is indeed a much more complete player than Abbas. However, as a drag-flicker I would say that Abbas is the best exponent and has been for quite a while now. The sheer conversion rate of Abbas as Taekema himself has admitted speaks volumes. It's all about stats and figures that count at the end of the day.

8. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Some of the best drag-flickers that hockey has produced over the years in no particular order:

Sohail Abbas (Pakistan)
    Khalid Bashir (Pakistan)
    Floris Jan Bovelander (The Netherlands)
    Craig Davies (Australia)
    Carsten Fischer (Germany)
    Calum Giles (Britain)
    Taco van den Honert (The Netherlands)
    Jim Irvine (Australia)
    Seong Seo Kim (South Korea)
    Shanmuganathan Kuhan (Malaysia)
    Florian Kunz (Germany)
    Harrie Kwinten (The Netherlands)
    Bram Lomans (The Netherlands)
    Jorge Lombi (Argentina)
    Hayden Shaw (New Zealand)
    Sandeep Singh (India)
    Christopher Zeller (Germany)
    Taeke Taekema (The Netherlands)

9. ---ERIC---

---ERIC--- FHF Regular Player

Hayden Shaw is actully from New Zealand :p

10. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Embarrassing typo! Thanks for the correction!:p

11. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

Do you mean penalty corner strikers, rather than drag flickers ?

Carsten Fischer, Jim Irvine, Craig Davies were able to hit the ball... but to flick the ball ???

12. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Exactly what I meant. Corner strikers. Hope you like the list.

13. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

You can be sure that when anyone says "End of Story" that it won't be lol
    (Except in the movie "High Society"!)

There's nothing more to be said....Full Stop/Period :rolleyes:

14. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Before a certain person, whose name begins with 'K' spots this, I probably ought to mention that you have forgotten to include:

Alyson Annan (Australia)
    Martje Pauman (Netherlands)
    Pietie Coetzee (South Africa)

etc etc ;)

15. CCG

CCG FHF Legend

Thought Knowles was Australia captain, not Dwyer... :baffled:

16. oldandslow

oldandslow FHF Regular Player

They both are

17. Frenchy

Frenchy FHF Regular Player

everytime i saw Abbas playing he can not put a single dragflick in the goal :baffled: i might be watching always the wrong. Thsi remenbers me EHL semi final 2008 vs HGC when Middleton score a cracker and Abbas can not stop him . All his PC flick attenpts when everywhere but not in the goals

18. abbas

abbas FHF Starter

Well, it depends on how you define "everytime". Indeed, in the last few years Abbas has been somewhat less accurate in his dragflicking. He's not the youngest anymore. Also, there are too many expectations from him each time. I think that's not fair. The likes of Abbas and Waseem are veterans that served their country well over the years. Abbas is now close to retirement. Now would be the right time for him to hang up the gloves so to speak and retire with grace. Pakistan hockey needs new and young faces.

19. asrar737

Probably this is the time for him to retire. This is the worst tournament for him so far.

20. Waxxxed

Waxxxed FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Tribaal Impi - Beikou 90 Pro - Oregon Wolf1
    Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I thought I could save time/effort.

Anyway, I was just wondering what stick Sandeep Singh is using??
    Thanks.