Stroke or not?

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by LuluGoalie, Dec 17, 2016.

1. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

The other day I left my circle by a step or so to make a tackle and prevent the oppo striker from gaining control of the ball. I attempted to play it with my stick but missed, and the striker tipped it onto my foot just over the line. I'm happy with a pc for that, although the terrible umpires called nothing for it! The stroke question came from said striker running into me as she changed her angle to play the ball onto me. I made every effort to play the ball and was stationary at this point when she ran into my body and didn't fall, but stumbled into the circle. A spectator/oppo parent/decent umpire later said that the contact warranted a stroke, but I'm not too sure. Any thoughts are appreciated

2. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Where was the contact?

3. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    So you were stationary, OUTside the circle, when the attacker played the ball on your foot, and then ran into you, causing you to stumble INto the circle ? Have I got that right?
    If so, it is, in my book, a PC at worst, although the'terrible' umpire might have judged that the foot or the body-contact were not entirely accidental and added a card :(
    No justification in that scenario for a PS, which might have been considered only if you were on the circle line or in side it when the contact trook place.
    What was the interval, in time and space, between the foot, which you say should have been blown, and the clash of bodies?

4. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

If you were stationary and the attacker ran into you it's a FPD in my opinion, no matter where the contact took place.
    Although in your scenario it might be a PC if the attacker's change of direction was a result of the ball changing path due to a foot, but nothing more.

5. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

You can't award a stroke for an offence outside the circle, period.

As ever a quick scan of the rules would cover this

12.4 A penalty stroke is awarded :
    a for an offence by a defender in the circle which prevents the probable scoring of a goal
    b for an intentional offence in the circle by a defender against an opponent who has possession of the ball or an opportunity to play the ball

Outside the circle it's a PC at most. A static goalie who has the ball played into them outside the circle should be a FHA at most, 12.3 covers the award of PC and for an offence outside the circle it has to be:

c) for an intentional offence by a defender outside the circle but within the 23 metres area they are defending

Standing still and having the ball played into you is not intentional ergo not a PC.

If you were moving and the attacker was disadvantaged e.g. trying to play the ball around you one side while they ran the other and it came off your foot I would be more inclined to go for PC because goalies know they can only use their stick outside the D and know it's a high risk move to leave the D to make a tackle

redumpire likes this.
  6. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

Thanks guys, for clarification for the questions above, the contact happened just outside the circle and the attacker bumped into my shoulder and she stumbled into the circle while I managed to stay on my feet