The Amazing Shiny Come Watch Eng Domestic Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Stuart Burnside, Sep 16, 2016.

1. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

Can't make it to LV this year but have managed to rejig things just enough to be able to go and watch Fareham vs Indian Gym in the deciding relegation play off game.

Knowing both clubs well I'm sat squarely on the fence picking out splinters.

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

3. azbedwell

azbedwell FHF Regular Player

I was going to comment on this. Does anyone know why this is and why the a English cup final and premier league finals couldn't get on tv?

Genuinely interested, not trying or hoping to start a "England hockey are rubbish vs Noone wants to watch war" which I can see as a possible outcome.

4. redumpire

FHF Moderator

My post was in the same vein. Genuinely interested why this would be the case?

5. ArbyJames

ArbyJames FHF Regular Player

From what I hear, the reason they put stuff on BT Sport rather than the BBC for various events is because the BBC wanted EH to cover ALL the costs. Production, staffing, infrastructure etc etc. It ended up looking pretty pricey for EH. In fact all the title sponsor money from the Euros went to the BBC. BT Sport came in and said they'd foot the bill for all that stuff, so unsurprisingly, EH went with them. Unfortunately, BT weren't really interested in the domestic competitions, only in the internationals, so they didn't take the league finals or the cup finals.

EH were free to try and find an alternative for those games but i think a combination of time and other factors meant they couldn't get it on another platform. I also heard Galvanised offered them a live streaming service at a pretty decent rate but they declined it due to "lack of budget".

CardHappy, redumpire, G and 1 other person like this.
  6. G

G FHF All Time Great

7. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

County champs? There is one?
    Just looked at your thread. I assume men. no berks, Bucks, oxon, Middlesex... that's our local league unrepresented.
    We have county AGM coming up. I'll ask who hasn't put a team in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. G

G FHF All Time Great

Yes men only. EH decided to cancel the ladies competition about 10 years ago

Let me know if anyone needs organisers contact details

9. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Cheers. That's interesting to hear.

10. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

Is it an EH competition? I thought these were a CA competition, much like there are CA & RA leagues that EH doesn't control?

11. redumpire

FHF Moderator

12. G

G FHF All Time Great

But they don't do much other than organise collecting entry fees and paying for the finals day. Hosts arrange pitches, umpires and technical officials for their respective preliminary round and, from what I know, the rest is arranged by 2 volunteers...

13. G

G FHF All Time Great

Having just received the squad sheets for the Nottinghamshire pools the Notts. vs. Derbys match on the Sunday should be a corker of a game and it's a local derby too!!

14. SPactionimages

SPactionimages FHF Top Player

Just wondering if you were at LV for the cup finals ? Maybe you could clarify something for me; there appeared to be two different sets of technical regs in operation especially relating to two yellows, was that the case ? In the card fest that was the Over 60s cup final, one player received two yellows, but then in the U18 boys cup one player received a technical red for his second yellow. Do you know the reasoning why there was a difference ?

As a general comment, I thought some matches were umpired extremely well, but then I was disappointed with the overall standard of umpiring.

15. redumpire

FHF Moderator

No, I wasn't there, but I can confirm that the same regs were played throughout.

To be clear - there is no longer any such thing as a "technical red card". This was an old National League only regulation which meant that any second yellow card to the same player automatically resulted in a red card. It is no longer in the National League regs, because...

...There is now a "Category "D red card in place across all hockey in England. This is shown to a player if s/he receives a yellow card and then, later in the game, commits the same foul which results in a second yellow card for the same offence. This is then upgraded to a red card. Such red cards result in suspension from the rest of the game in question, but there is no further sanction - i.e. no minimum 16-day ban.

It is, however, also possible for a player to receive two yellow cards for different offences, though the second yellow card should, normally, be longer than the first.

All of this applies across all hockey in England and is in keeping with paragraphs 2.3.e. & f. of the Umpiring section of the rule book, in which is it stated that:
    I hope that clarifies?

I wouldn't pass comment on this even if I had been at LV. As I wasn't there, I'm definitely not going to comment! I'm sure you'll understand.

16. SPactionimages

Thanks, it does. I overheard two umpires talking before one match with one stating along the lines of there are no technical reds for this match, which is what prompted the question. Fully appreciate you wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't comment re the umpiring!

17. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

There was a reference to 'technical reds' in the umpire briefing which I think was missed when they were updated from last year.

For the reasons Redumpire has stated they were mentioned as not applying last year because the games were not national league games where we were used to applying them if required.
    This year as all hockey has the same rules so they didn't need mentioning at all.

You may have overheard me as I know my colleague and I mentioned them along the lines of what I said above and how we would manage YCs.

18. ArbyJames

ArbyJames FHF Regular Player

Does anyone know if the umpires from the Didsbury vs Blackheath game come in here?

19. SPactionimages

That was an interesting match!

ArbyJames likes this.
  20. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Why?

ArbyJames likes this.