Which gear? Throat Protector or No Protector?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Legroth, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Legroth

Legroth FHF Newbie

Comfort or Protection? What do you prefer?
    I have spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours training and playing in goals. Playing low levels and high levels, At national tournaments and played with Ex-Australian player Glen Turner in indoor. I have always been called rather crazy (even for a goal-keeper)mainly between me not wearing a throat protector, doing crazy stuff like five finger fillet with big ass knives and listening to metal.
    So whats your opinions on wearing them? (I'm 15 btw)[​IMG]

2. Danjmet (GK)

Danjmet (GK) FHF Legend

Essential. It doesn't matter which style you go for. I cant stand wrap arounds so wear a plexi which I love. But even a dangly is better than nothing. everyone at 15 feels invincible, but one dodgy shot that hits your throat or carotid can literally kill you. Its highly unlikely but why take the risk.

I have taken shots to my plexi before and had shots ricochet into my neck. They hurt but because of the protection there is no real damage.

I'm damn near thirty, still listen to metal, have thrash metal tattoos, and am a general Adrenalin junkie. Still wouldn't play without one :D

Legroth, Simon_GK_Mason and peterwins like this.
  3. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

I hate the wrap arounds as well so I wear a lexan and have done for the past few years. I've had straight shots, deflections, and the occasional stick come near my neck and it's saved me from a lot of damage. I don't notice it and I don't let the kids I coach on the field without one, no matter what sort they have.

4. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    Wear a dangly, especially for indoor.

5. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

Have a dangly, which can be bloody annoying if it's windy. Don't think I've ever been hit in it, but wouldn't risk playing without it.

6. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

I've played more than 30 seasons including at the highest club level and in all that time I've only been hit hard in the throat twice, so I am not surprised that at the age of 15 you haven't had this unpleasant experience yet.

When it does inevitably happen to you, you will be very glad of your throat protection. Both times I was wearing a dangler. The first impact was flush on the dangler but left me with a badly bruised throat. The second one was high on the dangler so it took some of the pace off the ball but it was still travelling fast enough to ricochet up into my chin and split my chin open through the chin guard.

After the second experience I started wearing a lexan. It was a bit awkward to get used to at first but now I don't even notice I am wearing it.

tldr - you are insane (and not in a cool rebellious sort of way) not to wear throat protection

7. gomac182

gomac182 FHF Top Player