Today's inane Facebook comment about EH

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by Theory, Jan 24, 2018.

1. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

Yup almost trying to validate his view that someone should web stream it for him

You mean that you do not believe there might not be a huge viewing population in India for the English Indoor National Finals?

#21 jamesev, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Can you give a link to the comments?

3. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    I read it as "since you refuse to play it in my garden, at a time that suits me, then you should ... Online ... " I may have tuned out, in fairness you might very well get people watching around the globe but not a great many (Brits abroad, hockey enthusiasts, etc)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    I don't think you can link to a specific FB post, but if you go onto the EH page and scroll down to the story that has a picture of KRW you should be able to read them.

https://www.facebook.com/EnglandHockey/

5. Walter Ego

Walter Ego FHF Newbie

The worlds biggest sports broadcasters are using YouTube more and more as a medium to broadcast to a worldwide audience, recognising traditional TV is dying on its arse*. But compared to some internet Herberts, what do they know.

Re: Who would pay - Pay what? You can stream on YouTube for nothing**. If you want to do a full bells and whistles broadcast on there you can, but you can pretty much choose your budget.

The British Cyclocross championships were shown on the BBC red button a couple of weeks ago in a similar manner. It was also livestreamed on Facebook and YouTube. Minimal cost, but upped the reach from 60 million (Yeah, right...), to 4 billion.

*Do your own research on this, it's a fact. Anecdata - I honestly don't know anyone that isn't my elderly relatives with a TV licence. Random article plucked from Google - http://adage.com/article/media/half-young-consumers-watching-content-traditional-tv-study/310564/

**I've livestreamed events on an iPhone on a tripod. And the tripod is optional...

6. Krebsy

Thanks, it's the internet so I have added my tuppence worth. Not very coherent, but it wouldn't be facebook if it was.

Theory likes this.
  7. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    Who are you responding to?

8. Krebsy

Reach and views are somewhat different.

Anything online has a theoretical reach of 7 billion people.

Anything broadcast over the air will reach the whole universe in time. So by your rather blunt metric, BBC broadcasts have a reach of potentially infinite proportions. Kicks YouTube into touch

9. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

An indoor event in high definition?

10. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Anybody who says they won't watch the BBC "because its bias (sic.)" is a walking face palm.

The BBC is not perfect by any means, but it's certainly not biased.

Krebsy likes this.
  11. Simon_GK_Mason

Simon_GK_Mason FHF Legend

But I like making up my own rules. I still think that a green card should be a lap of the pitch, doesnt have to be timed, just run a lap, far more amusing.

Paul Watts and Ravennghorde like this.
  12. Simon_GK_Mason

Simon_GK_Mason FHF Legend

The indoor is being streamed, not just on the BBC but also viw the eurohockeytv.org site. You do have to register but it is free. Showing lots of european highlights, trying to create a free site for viewing so people don't have to go searching about. Streaming starts about 10.15 on sunday for all games with some pitch side comment and analysis for the two finals (can't promise how good it will be! :) )

Theory and BossFHockey like this.
  13. Krebsy

Please make sure you spend as much time as you can explaining the differences between hockey and other sports. In particular Basketball, I need to understand in depth how the 3 point line in Basketball does not mean the same thing in Hockey.

Simon_GK_Mason likes this.
  14. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

In all seriousness, commentators who don't know the rules, quote old ones or old interpretations etc don't help get people with limited knowledge of the game get into it - things like assuming every foot in the D must be a PC or a shot on goal can't be a foul for example

15. Gingerbread

Funnily enough, an investigation by a commons select committee / think tank found on Brexit coverage, they were (though the reports I read didn't say whether for example when they interview pro-remain MPs, whether they couldn't get a pro-leave MP on to interview hence not having one). It's also noticeably pro-Apple, anti-Android in the tech pages, though I do prefer this to the extremes of say the Mirror or the Mail as BBC tends to do a good job of getting claims of bias from both political wings which suggests they're doing a good job

http://www.theweek.co.uk/brexit/65461/brexit-news

Ravennghorde likes this.
  16. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Biased, you say? Mmm...

Krebsy likes this.
  17. Krebsy

Because the BBC is publicly owned, there are an abundance of pea-brained morons who think that it must not give information which is contrary to their viewpoint, or they fail to see/ignore/take for granted the content which balances with the stuff they don't like and a perception of bias takes hold.

Coupled with the fact that the status quo is always going to be questioned more rigorously than a possible alternative because the status quo is what is actually happening and MUST be given more scrutiny than the myriad alternatives to ensure we are optimising it. Thus if you are in government you will be held to more scrutiny because your decisions actually make the difference between life and death for many.

To lob your toys out the pram and refuse to engage with terrestrial TV because you don't like some of the things it says, or it criticises your cherished beliefs means that your beliefs are on a weak foundation and you need to be challenged more, not less.
    Toughen up, open your mind and join the adult race.

18. Gingerbread

I
    Ignoring the content and facts to make an argument over one phrase in the article is poor debating to be honest

Ravennghorde likes this.
  19. Krebsy

I think what @redumpire is showing is that the writer of the article is rather open to accusations of bias themselves. And that right wing groups are maybe not going to give an unbiased account of themselves. Either will left wingers for that matter. It doesn't matter what side of the spectrum they are, the fact remains that if every side is crying foul, given the nature of the BBC and its place in society, it is probably about right.

I don't like a lot of what the BBC does, right now there are a great many things I disagree with, but they are no biased. They are giving points of view I am not aligned to.
    Big difference.

redumpire likes this.
  20. Krebsy

Looking into it, the director of the group who wrote the article claiming bias on the BBCs Brexit coverage works for news international, the mail group and the telegraph group.
    Something tells me that he may have an interest in both Brexit and the BBCs status in society.