What size stick?

Discussion in 'Equipment Review & Questions' started by Lawpf2001, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Offline

Lawpf2001 FHF Starter

Message Count:
    How tall is everybody and what size stick do you use? I'm 6'3" and am not sure whether to get a 37.5 or 38. I've checked a few sizing things online and seem to be getting a mix of the two. One website even said anybody above 5'10" should use a 38 which I found a bit surprising. I know this will prbably end up with answers of... 'whatever feels best for you' but I would just like to get an idea of what everyone else is buying.
  2. Offline

dave454 FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    I'm about 6ft tall and use a 37.5. However, you even said yourself "whatever feels best for you". Trying both is really the only way of knowing.
  3. Offline

Lawpf2001 FHF Starter

Message Count:
    Unfortunately I don't know anybody with a 38. Only 37's and a 40 :eek:

I think my closet Hockey shop is in Salisbury which'll take over an hour to get too.
  4. Offline

Lawpf2001 FHF Starter

Message Count:
    Admin can close this topic. Managed to just win an auction on eBay for a 37.5
  5. Offline

pau11 FHF Newbie

Message Count:
  6. Offline

John FHF Legend

Message Count:
    That advice on how to select a stick for length is imho utter rubbish.

Most adult sticks in Europe come in "official" lengths of 36.5" or 37.5". Can't remember the last time I saw a stick advertised for sale at 38". Certainly the last one I owned was a wooden ZigZag.

You will often find that there can be a little variation in the actual length of the stick depending on the batch it comes from. All composite sticks are 40+" or so when they are made and are then cut down accordingly and the end cap put on. If the length is a little off when the saw is set up then you might find that a couple of hundred sticks are labelled up as being 36.5" long and are actually 36.75" etc.

If you are unsure, try the sticks of your friends/team mates, see which length you like and go with that. If you like the length of your existing stick then no reason to change.
  7. Offline

UHL

Message Count:
    The first point to make is that there is no right or wrong length of stick it comes down to individual taste. Those guides that exist are all trying to standardise a range of variables and they don't work.

Yes the vast majority of sticks are 36.5 inch with an increasing number being sold at 37.5 inch, and it is fair to say that almost any stick should be available in these sizes.

John is partly right is saying all composites start life being cut to length but from a 39 inch mould not 40 inch, so there are only a limited number of 40 inch sticks around as these come from a specific longer mould. I know of two brands that carry 40 inch sticks as a matter of course TK and STAG.

39 inch sticks are available in Mercian and Zoppo sticks although only in a limited number of sticks.

38.5 is another matter as these are widely available from a range of brands such as TK, Grays, Kookaburra, Atlas, and Gryphon. 38 inch is also available right across the Dita range.

Now all brands limit the number of models they produce in the longer lengths and this is often only one or two in their whole range. So a bit of research is needed to find what they are.

The biggest problem you will have is finding them in a shop or on line, if you search 40 inch sticks you will probably rock up on my site as I am not sure anyone else is advertising them.

I complain every season to the brands that they should make more but I always get the same answer there is no demand. But given that I sell out every season of 38.5, 39 and 40 inch sticks that is just not the case.

I had a 6ft 2inch long legged teenager in the shop yesterday looking at 40 inch sticks, the problem is that the cheapest I have at the moment is £119.99 which is a lot of money as an entry level stick.

Finally to answer the original question I have sold longer sticks to players from 5ft 6inches to 6ft 6inches and have one 6ft 3inch customer I have been trying to sell longer sticks to for 20 years and finally last year he bought a 37.5 inch as he was getting old and bending was becoming an issue! As I said there is no right or wrong to this question just what you are happiest using.
  8. Offline

Peakey FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    I thought the highest it actually went to was 37.5.
    I heard it's because the game is played best when you're down low and controlling the ball, so they make sticks just that little bit shorter.
    They do have 38s and sometimes higher, but usually you have to special order it.

Anyway, that's what I heard. Most people have the 37.5s.
  9. Offline

Waxxxed FHF Legend

Message Count:
    A guy in my team was (well, still is) 6'6 and he used a 36.5 GX7000.

Depends on what feels right for you.
  10. Offline

GravelBen FHF Starter

Message Count:
    What he (and everyone else) said.

I'm 5'10 and switched from a 37.5 to a 36.5 a year ago, the shorter stick seems to lose out a little on hitting power but I find I have better ball control/accuracy with it when dribbling/passing etc.
  11. Offline

Mathew FHF Starter

Message Count:
    ^^ What everyone else said.

Ignore all the advice that says "if you're height x, then use stick length y". I took this advice and spent a year stumbling around with a 37.5" (the 'proper' stick for my height, allegedly), convinced that I'd forgotten how to hit the ball! Switched back to a 36.5", and it's been plain sailing ever since.

So it really is a case of "see what feels best". As someone on another thread pointed out, the Dutch internationals (almost without exception) use 36.5", whereas in Australia and New Zealand the 'default' seems to be for the 37.5", regardless of height.
  12. Offline

jaduong FHF Legend

Message Count:
    huh? sticks come in different lengths?

whodathunkit.
  13. Online

Craggsy FHF Staff

Message Count:
    I'm 6ft and I've moved to a 37.5" this season, its fine for hitting but dribbling etc is stil akward as I'm used to being lower etc. See how it goes if push comes to shove I can always cut an inch off the top!
  14. Offline

Andrevv

Message Count:
    Shouldn't one use a shorter stick to get down lower, so that when they go to a longer stick for a match, they have the advantage of stronger back muscles? I do that, I take shots like a golfer and for training I use a 36.5 come a match I use my 37.5 and you seem to feel more at ease
  15. Offline

jaduong FHF Legend

Message Count:
    i would personally disagree with this. whenever i use a shorter stick than my 37.5, i never hit the ball cleanly. but then again..holding a 36.5 for a minute or two is not adeqate as a basis upon which to judge.
  16. Offline

Andrevv

Message Count:
    Perhaps rather the point I'm trying to make us that muscle memory will aid you to stay lower. I had the problem and got help from this site, so I figured, why not try and get lower
  17. Offline

jaduong FHF Legend

Message Count:
    yes, i'm sure if you use both regularly you would be used to them. i just never use the shorter one, so when i try one it is generally a waste of time.
  18. Offline

John FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Why would you have stronger back muscles from using a shorter stick?

I would estimate that 75% of people would spend the first half of the match hitting the turf before the ball.
  19. Offline

Andrevv

Message Count:
    Theoretically yes, but if you are able to relax those muscles, then you will come right. I mean, say now you suddenly grab a 32" and you play around, as soon as you grab your stick which is longer(atleast I hope it is) aren't you going to feel the relief and adjust quicker?
  20. Offline

jaduong FHF Legend

Message Count:
    if i grabbed a 32 for warm up i would ask my coach to make me sit in the naughty corner.

i fail to see how conditining muscles for one type of movement will help when you decide to play and subject them to another type of movement. it also sounds counteractive to motor learning. the more you train a specific muscle set to move a certain way, the less consciously and more efficiently you're meant to be able to do it, apparently. so doing two different types of movement is really less efficient
    what you're suggesting sounds to me like me training for a cycle race by running instead. sounds counterproductive at best. at worst...well, you have an active imagination.