Where is the best place to aim for on a shot?

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Matt112, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Matt112

Matt112 FHF Newbie

I was wondering as an attacker, where do you aim for whilst shooting? And as a keeper, where is the hardest place to have to save the ball?

2. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Straight at me seems to go well ;)

I think you'll get a lot of folk say it really does depend on the situation you face yourself in at the time.

Gun to the head make a choice, I'd rather not face shots just to the left or. Right of the top of my pads, making me choose between legpads up or gloves down.

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

The goal?

Mind you, I’ve not played for a good few years. Things might have changed in the meantime.

Pippinn likes this.
  4. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

YOU CAN'T USE THE 'C' WORD! People will panic.

Pippinn and redumpire like this.
  5. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

As Murph said, any shot that makes the decision making process difficult for the GK is good. Hands? Feet? Goal!

6. Hockeyfan95

Hockeyfan95 FHF Newbie

One thing I always get told is that if it's a tall keeper aim low and hard in corners but that's just one advice it really matters on the situation

7. Hacker

Hacker FHF Legend

6 or so inches off the ground as the ball will go over the top of a grounded kicker

8. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I always think you shouldn’t be looking at the keeper and judging strength and weakness.
    I always watch the oppo keeper during warm up if I don’t know them. Then tell my fieldies “ he seems weak with footwork “ or he favours his right etc. But I would say as said above a little off the ground too low for hand to high for foot on ground

9. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Knee high & wide.

10. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Between back and waist height, as close to the post as you can manage.

You go over any stick or low pad, eliminate a dive that commits very low, don't risk a miss over the bar.

Picking which side, depends on whether you know they have a preference for saves and whether there are runners coming that might get a deflection if you put it across the face or behind the keeper. I teach to go for the keeper's left/shooter's right either way: they're the harder side to stop and they're better potential for deflections.

11. dhiggins

dhiggins FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Grays SW13
    You should aim at the keeper. If you aim for corners, a slight mishit or a mis-aim and you'll skew it way wide. If you aim at the keeper, a mishit or aim will put it in the corner. If you can always hit the target then this forces a save, which could hit the defender and be a corner, or could fall to another attacker who can then put the ball in the goal. Very very few people in the world are good enough to hit the top right from wherever 100% of the time in match conditions.

Also, cross-goal on the floor is always a safe bet - easy for deflections on the back post.

#11 dhiggins, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Pippinn likes this.
  12. MKochar

MKochar FHF Super Star

What is the best part of the boundary to hit a 4?
    What part of the wicket should i be aiming at as a bowler?
    Is it best to run left-right-left...or right-left-right when running in to bowl?

13. StevenBenson

StevenBenson FHF Newbie

Once person told me you should aim for the keeper's shoulders as it is hard for them to get their hands to it.

14. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

That is prime glove save height though.

15. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

Yep, I'll be happy if you aim straight at my shoulders every time.

16. sanabas

They were wrong. Shoulder/head height and straight at me will mostly make me look good, with saves that are simple but impressive-looking. Just outside my hip/waist are the ones that make me look stupid, and are awkward to get hand to. But there's very little margin for error aiming there. A bit high or wide, and it's easy to get hand there, a bit inside and I can use body, a bit low and it's easier to get legguard on it.

As a striker, I make a good keeper. I certainly can't hit top right the majority of the time, nor do I try to. But even with my limited skills, I can generally aim for the left or right hand sides of the goal when hitting. Aiming for the keeper will be a lot less effective at scoring goals. Though can be fun at training if my keepers are trying to work on trusting their gear, not flinching away from a ball at their body. If you're at any sort of angle to the goal, then aiming at the opposite sideboard gives you a decent sized target to look at that will be tough to save if you get it right.

CG14 likes this.
  17. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

Look at the Middle of the goal, close your eyes and hit the ball as hard as you can

18. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

I try to get the youngsters to just solidly pass to either sideboard.
    Doesn't look as flash as a rocket tomma that hits the bar/keepers helmet BUT

19. sanabas

So that's why they made you a goalie.

20. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

IMHO mid-shin height in the corners is the hardest to save because it will go over a grounded kicker forcing the goalkeeper to raise his foot as he stretches for the ball. Its also too low to reach with the glove comfortably.

Another option, particularly on a tight angle, is to see how high the GK is holding his hands. If he has them high then a hard shot hip-high under an elbow is hard to get to. If he carries them mid-height or lower then shots over the shoulder are often effective.