Which goalie travel bag ?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by simpo, Oct 25, 2017.

1. simpo

simpo FHF Newbie

I will be travelling, by plane, for the first time with my goalie gear. Can anybody recommend a good travel bag? Can the stick fit in the bag? I guess that will be an oversize bag for check in.

How do you travel by plane with your goalie stuff? Thanks !

2. Beardymanbristol

Beardymanbristol FHF Legend

I just took my normal goalie bag but had to check it in a Sports Equipment. Made up for the extra cost by filling all the gaps with my other stuff so only had to take my goalie bag and hand luggae. I was using a massive bag at the time. Big Grays one (GX8000 I think).

simpo likes this.
  3. simpo

simpo FHF Newbie

Thanks. I am looking at the Grays GX800 too. Wondering if anybody use ice hockey goalie bags...I can find some cheaper here in Canada. When I used to travel with my golf bag, I also stuffed clothing and socks into the bag too even though not allowed.

Just looked up air carrier's allowance, I guess no oversize charge:
    "One equipment bag + a maximum of 2 sticks taped together count as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type.

Waivers / Charges
    • Hockey/lacrosse/ringette/cricket bag + equipment: No oversize charge.
    • Hockey/lacrosse/ringette/cricket stick: No oversize or additional piece charges if carried with equipment bag.
    All other additional checked baggage rules apply.

Packing instructions
    Stick(s) must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If not packaged in such a container, sticks must be taped together.

Items not in a rigid and/or hard shell container may be refused for carriage. Air Canada is not liable if and to the extent that any damage results from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage.

Equipment bags must not contain any clothing."

4. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

I've checked in my obo travel bag as normal luggage many times

simpo likes this.
  5. karl oskar

karl oskar FHF Newbie

When i've been flying with my obo wheelie bag or my verbunt wheelie bag i've checked them in as odd-size luggage.

simpo likes this.
  6. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

If you're in Canada, I would guess any reference to hockey would refer to ice hockey, so maybe worth checking if the same applies - eg for sticks.

Also, if you have a try on the search function I know there have been previous discussions on this subject - they may prove useful.

simpo likes this.
  7. simpo

simpo FHF Newbie

Thanks. Yes you are right, hockey means ice hockey in Canada. They have lacrosse and cricket but not field hockey on their sports equipment list.

8. Mom&Daughter

Mom&Daughter FHF Newbie

I use the Bauer Premium Wheel bag, size large. It is 42" (107cm) long and fits all my gear, including my stick, plus a bunch of other stuff - water bottles, cleats, clothes, toiletries. I pack everything in it, check it as sports gear and then have a carry on.

It has actually lasted longer than my daughter's OBO bag and it is definitely lighter.

simpo likes this.
  9. simpo

simpo FHF Newbie

Thanks! Glad to know the size of your Bauer Wheel Bag as there are different sizes. I just went and bought one after reading your favourable review and specifically asked for the 42" one, and it happened to be on sale! The old bag I have does not have the telecopic handle and too small. The Bauer one should be great for travel. Thanks again!

10. Mom&Daughter

Mom&Daughter FHF Newbie

You're welcome; happy to help a fellow Canadian!