Why no left handed Sticks?

Discussion in '(Archived) Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Electric Blue, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Offline

Electric Blue

Message Count:
    I am wanting to learn to play hockey but I'm a left hander.

Why are there no left handed Hockey Sticks on the market?

Cheers,

EB
  2. Offline

JiMMM FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    because all hockey sticks are left handed, i.e. left hand at the top (this is different from Cricket bats)
  3. Offline

Folmer FHF Legend

Message Count:
    Like JiMMM said, all sticks are left handed. So you have an advantage as a lefty.

And it's also in the rules
  4. Offline

Weekend Wildman

Message Count:
    The flat left side makes all sticks right-handed - like the flat left side of a right-handed golf club.
  5. Offline

kaiwawao FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    I am more ambidextrous than left handed but I find it is very easy to play "left handed" i.e. with right hand at the top of the stick with a normal stick. It also makes reverse stick play easier as I do not need to have my hands crossed when doing it.

You could always play as a keeper :D
  6. Offline

deegum FHF Legend

Message Count:
    I used to Play against a RAAF team ( australian air force0
    A member of their team swore blind that an officer had insisted that a bulk order for sticks included 10% left handed ones........ :eek:
    And you do what the officer says...... rofl
  7. Offline

Rutter FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    What Rupert say, goes thank you very much :p

I have played against a couple of left handed players and they were absolute b****rs to defend against (and more than a little dangerous)
  8. Online

Inselaffen FHF Legend

Message Count:
    we don't allow freaks into the Keepers Union :no:
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    [IMG]

You're saying that dressed like that!

Whispering grass the trees don't have to know.....Lovely Boy
  10. Offline

peteski

Message Count:
    left handed sticks are out there, just not legal too use. I bought a couple over the net for a bit of a laugh.

same here, I played in a regional thing this year with a guy that played lefty.
    made some insane drags passed a few of the AHL players. would be very hard to defend against
  11. Offline

kristof

Message Count:
    Hockey sticks are left handed, the left hand is at the top providing most of the grip and control of the stick. An easy way to see how this works is to look at ice hockey players, the right handed players all have their right hand at the top of the stick so it appears they're a lefty as they carry the puck on their left.
  12. Offline

abasss

Message Count:
    I'm a lefty and even though I've struggled all my childhod with scissors, I never felt in disadvantage by using the same stick that everyone else. I grabbed the stick like my teammates and I believe my sucking in the field had nothing to do with my hand preferences. lol
  13. Offline

coley666

Message Count:
    Whilst playing US Portsmouth this year their left back was a lefty. He just played with the stick on his left hand side but would move it to the right hand side of his body (keeping his hands inverted) and would throw a aerial most the way across the pitch.
  14. Offline

iBiff

Message Count:
    Bloody U.S Portsmouth, was that when they weren't pushing everyone over? lol the aerial was probably due to how bouncy their water based is rofl
    I hate lefty's, don't they shield the ball most of the time because of the way lefty's hold the stick?
  15. Offline

MattKnowles FHF Regular Player

Message Count:
    Yep. Holding the hockey stick as most people do is left handed. A leftie holds the handle of a spade and the heel of an axe with their left hand to provide the best level of control to the tool. I'm lucky in that I can use a spade/axe/hammer etc with either hand but still can't use a hockey stick at all!
  16. Offline

Weekend Wildman

Message Count:
    All righties with a right handed grip on right handed equipment.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. Offline

kristof

Message Count:
    The Ice Hockey players are all lefties!

have a look at these links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Rangers#Current_roster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens#Current_roster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Red_Wings#Current_roster

The column under S/G denotes which side they shoot from, the vast majority shoot lefty which means they carry the right hand at the top of the stick, their stronger hand.

Golf, Cricket and Baseball involve a single contact with the ball and do not require a constant controlling of the ball with the strong hand as well as maintaining a grip on the club/bat during a tackle etc.

Hockey and Ice Hockey do, watch an ice hockey match, the guys who carry the stick with the right hand at the top are right handed as they use that hand to reach for the puck, make a jab tackle, control the puck when racing on a breakaway and it also means that when they fall or are checked the strong hand is holding the stick so they don't drop it
  18. Offline

Weekend Wildman

Message Count:
    Wayne Gretzky, the greatest left handed center to ever play the game played right handed?
    Maybe he was right handed and played and shot left handed, or he was left handed shooting right, or . . . :baffled:
    He always said he is left handed. Maybe he is?
    [IMG]
  19. Offline

Message Count:
    All very sinister
  20. Offline

kristof

Message Count:
    It's weird with Ice Hockey players as they'll describe the way they play as left handed as the stick is on the left, however Gretzky is a righty, he writes, throws and plays Golf as a right hander,

The majority play with the stick on the left, a basic understanding of genetics tells us that most people in the world are right handed hence a preference of using the right hand to do all the intricate work controlling the puck and stick whilst the left hand/arm is used purely as an instrument to generate power.

Transfer to this in hockey and it's the left hand that does all of the stick turning and ball control, the right arm is used purely for strength.

I have channeled my barely attended A Level Biology!