World Rankings - Canada moves up on both sides

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BlackCat, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

As expected, the Canadian men have improved their ranking, moving up to 13. There is a big gap between them and the next country, Japan though. Even if they had achieved their desired #8 finish, I don't think they would have moved ahead of them (unless my math is worse than I thought).

And surprsingly, the women moved up a few spots, thanks to their participation and few wins at the OQ. The gap between them and the next country isn't too big so if they manage some success at the coming Pan Am Championship and/or WCQ (if invited), they may see some positive movement.

http://www.fihockey.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,1181-153418-170634-nav-list,00.html

2. keely

keely FHF Legend

Interesting to note that the Chilean women, with whom the Canadians were previously tied at #23, have moved all the way up to 17 - quite a jump.

3. wolfman

wolfman FHF Regular Player

13th for the men... please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this means that we'll be in rotation for the champion's challenge as 7-12 play in that and the last place finisher switches out with the next ranked country. If this is the case and we manage to stay in the tourney for more than a year, that is fantastic for the team, our rankings climb and exposure!

4. keely

keely FHF Legend

Good point, wolfman, hadn't thought of that! Definitely a big benefit to being top 12ish. :)

5. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

It really is important to qualify for the WC and OG. Reaching the tournaments, assures at least a place in the CC. Of course the best of all is to finish top 6 thus qualifying for the CT.

Now interesting to have the CC II. At least, the next teams after the top 6 won't lag behind further from World Ranking points.

6. BlackCat

Alexi, you beat me to it!

Yes indeed, a 2nd level Champions Challenge is in the works, which the Canadian men are eligible for... actually they were before the Olympics... but again, more exposure is good!

FIH has invited Canada to bid for more events based on the success of the OQ (even though we lost tons of money)... perhaps the CC2 might be something we shoot for? Wouldn't that be fun?

7. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

So the next time the men's team gets to play abroad they'll not only have the pay their way, but also build the plane? :p

8. Alexei

If my assumption is right...

Canada Men will play in the CC I and not CC 2 :nerd:

Unless you have lots of Government support and Corporate Backers.... don't ever think of hosting an FIH Tournament.
    I've seen a Federation in further debts because of hosting jobs. :sorry:

9. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Thats very true if an association isn't careful they can run up huge debts hostings a tournament. Although in the last few years NZ Hockey have run two qualifying tournaments and although these have run at a small loss balanced against the cost of sending the team overseas to compete it has proved more cost effective . Plus of course home town support

10. BlackCat

No, it'll be the CC II, they are just one spot shy of the CC I.

I don't know how we're going to do it but if we don't find a way, we might as well pack it all in now.

11. Alexei

Are you sure its CC 2?

The CCs are now 8 team each. :yes:

12. wolfman

Alexei - good catch on that. Yes the CCs are now 8 teams each. CT is 6 teams, so CC1 is 7-14. That's awesome news, we need to stay at this level to get good games every year.

13. BlackCat

Well I guess I'm not in the loop as much as I thought I was! But hey, this is good news and I'm happy to be wrong!

14. Alexei

slightly off topic :p

Malaysia will be the #1 Ranked Team in CC2. :eek:oh:

I wonder if they will be able to justify such ranking :baffled:
    Very interesting to note the future indication when they compete in the Hamburg Masters next month.

15. aus in Van

aus in Van FHF Newbie

does anyone have any info on the two teams coaching situations?

Seems a little strange that the two teams have just moved up in the world rankings and now there are no coaches in position?

16. BlackCat

It really doesn't have anything to do with the vacancies in the coaching positions Aus. The timing isn't even all that odd... I imagine a few national programs are under going coaching shifts post-Olympics, in addition to shifting world rankings.

But to answer your question - no news/gossip leaked my way

17. wolfman

Wait - what? Lou is no longer coaching the team? Granted I don't live in Vancouver or play field hockey out there anymore but I'm surprised there isn't anything on the FHC website, etc. I'm sure this won't mean much for the men's team in terms of tactics (run lots, tight defense, etc). It may mean that we'll see a few guys dropped in favour of some younger players as the new coach seeks to create his own team identity. Personally I think they should bring in Gubbar's niece's grandson from India as he scored 8 goals in 2 games in the Hoofdklasse and can throw a mean googly. (Just bringing back some old PFH banter for all you who miss it). But honestly, I'd like to see what a young kid like Erickson can do... or get some of the guys on the fringe back out like Lawrence Schouten... he'd be a good outside back.... if he can get his nose out of the accounting spreadsheets and client lunches.

18. sneakpeak

sneakpeak FHF Newbie

Could it be that Lou's resignation is not announced because he's in the running for the women's position?

19. BlackCat

Seriously? I don't even know what to say or think about that.

20. dipset

dipset FHF Newbie

it would be great to see lawrence schouten back in the picture also aaron guest has been working on his conditioning and will be at the october camp.