World Rankings - Canada moves up on both sides

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BlackCat, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Adam Dwyer

Adam Dwyer FHF Newbie

i strongly agree with dipset... laurence shoutens prestigious reverse flat stick tackle would make a great addition to the Canadian's forward line. As for Aaron, his back is coming along nicely and could contribute tactically with regards to defensive skills. Now that Lou has resigned, i may suggest Patrick Oswald to step up to the position as head coach. i have seen what he has accomplished with the u18 boys and i think his talent is being recognized.

2. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

I have word from a very reliable source that Louis has (or will be) resigned. Several key players have also retired, notably Ravi Kahlon and Mike Mahood (which was pretty much known in advance) but a lot of players were unhappy during the Olympics because of the change of strategy imposed upon them by Milkovich and Brahmst.

3. wolfman

wolfman FHF Regular Player

I can't speak for Blackcat's comments, as I don't think anyone who wasn't there could. Now, that being said, I could care less if they don't like Brahmst or Milko's comments.... Outside of 2-3 players on that team, there is no one else on that team who can touch what Milko and Brahmst did for Canadian field hockey. It takes outside opinion and an objective viewpoint to be able to create positive changes and I believe that the players on the field aren't necessarily the best source for that. You get lost on the field between what could work and what will work. That's why you have coaches, etc. For too long the national team was essentially self coached by the players, who were prima-donnas and self-absorbed. Not that I'm innocent, but at least I can admit that I was a self-absorbed dick, which easily hurt me more than anything else.

As for Patrick Oswald, now that is a great suggestion. He's brought Hawk's field hockey back from the brink and has really cemented the next generation of Canadian greats. I propose that he and Andrew Schouten coach the team. That would be a winning combination of epic proportions. I've heard that Matt Guest has given up the ghost and gone back to Med school, in the process donating his spine to his brother Aaron so that Aaron can pursue his dream of playing for Canada. After beating Russell Bissett in a 60 yard sprint off in front of the Hyatt at Cal Cup, he's also thinking of challenging Usain Bolt in the 100 and 200 meter sprint.

4. Jnr Can Fan

Jnr Can Fan FHF Newbie

Yes Wolfman what a race it was! I believe it was billed as the fastest man alive contest! and there is still talk of that race around the Vancouver hockey ranks!

Although I believe Aaron would love to have a replacemnt back from His brother I doubt it would fit Matt is a tall Lad.

As for giving up the Ghost, I think he, like alot of people (Lawrence S, Ian S, the jnr guys) would love to attend the carding camp, but does anyone know when this mystical camp is to occur? Have not seen or heard of any thing regarding it since Lou's departure.

5. hockeymom2

hockeymom2 FHF Newbie

what a great discourse. just superb.
    hats off to the people who spend company time on this website - paid to talk hockey - good stuff eh!
    'Wolfman' if that is your real name, you are so witty and smrt (Homer's spelling).
    Aaron Guest - IS the fattest / fasters man alive.
    Lawence Schouten - never heard of him - who does he play for? Is he related to Gubbar?

Last but not least, i heard that Planet Field Hockey is goign to be up and running again in the next few weeks! I cna't wait to see it going again!

:growl: >: :eek: :boring: ??? :baffled: :angry: ;) :rolleyes: :( :( :p :yes:

6. dilip-tirkey

dilip-tirkey FHF Newbie

I have heard that the Baath brothers are getting fit and are finally ready to take the next step and attend this camp, both pushing for roster positions. Jnr. Baath has apparently been training with Wayne on his flick!!

7. Jnr Can Fan

Jnr Can Fan FHF Newbie

I ask again,

When is this camp, have not heard anything about it since louis left.

So are the guys from Europe expected to get flights and come home with 2 weeks notice??

So they have to pay $500-600 more for their ticket becasue FHC cant get their act togeather and decide what is going to happen with their programs. Just terrible, what a terrible orgainisation.

Be nice to be in a gov job get paid and have noone to answer to

8. wolfman

wolfman FHF Regular Player

Agreed - must be nice not to have to answer to anyone.... must also be nice to demand $900 from the women athletes every two months... basically 30% of their carding cheques, on EACH cheque, to fund the program. This stems from the debacle of the qualifier in which they lost 100K+ and now have EVEN less money. The athletes are now paying around 80 grand a year extra to cover for the FHC financial mismangement of the qualifier. It's a disgrace. The WHOLE point of getting carding cheques is for the athletes to be able to not work so that they can focus their time on training. Taking away 30% of their money does anything but that. AND it's because the FHC mismanaged the financial side of the qualifier.

Now, don't get me wrong, their ranking also has to do with a lack of funding. But it's a catch-22 that Yossarian would be proud of. Because we're ranked low, we don't have enough money so we need to "tax" the players. To get a higher ranking we need to allow the players more time to train and tour but they can't because they're not getting enough money. So they can't train and tour as much, can't get a higher ranking and have to pay more money.... and there is no money for a u-21 program so where is the next generation of talent going to come from? Anyways I could go on and on in a Hegelian circadian argument but I think you all get my point.

The Baath brothers won't make the team. They won't make it because they're crazy. They'll hit anyone anytime and you can't have that lack of discipline on the field when Canada defends with 11 players behind the ball. Too much of a liability regardless of whatever skill people think they possess.

9. BlackCat

BlackCat FHF Regular Player

Good call SneakPeak:

Mendonca named Women’s National Coach

The President, Mary Cicinelli and the Board of Directors of Field Hockey Canada are pleased to announce the hiring of Louis Mendonca as Canada’s Women’s National Team Coach. Louis will join the Canadian team in Vancouver where the team is centralized on Monday, October 6.

Louis is well known to Canadian hockey as he has been involved in coaching at the provincial and national level for many years. He most recently led the men’s team to victory at the Pan-American games that qualified them for the Olympics and then he led the team at the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing. Louis also has significant experience coaching women while he was a coach within the NCAA. In 2007, Louis was named Coach of the Year in Ontario.

FHC is really pleased to have Louis involved as the Head Coach of the women’s national team.

10. hockeymom2

hockeymom2 FHF Newbie

will be interesting to see where the women go.
    i sure hope them the best! ;)